As someone who spent 6 months shopping for the perfect round 30-inch table to fit in my kitchen, I know how hard it can be to find a good small dining set. (I eventually scored an irregularly small Saarinenesque set off craigslist.) From that experience, I gathered a list of bookmarks for small dining sets — here are 12 sources and styles.
- Design Public: Based out of San Francisco, this online store has several modern dining tables and chairs, including some smart space-saving designs like this Offi Packet Table. It folds up into a 25 x 25 inch box., and starts at $200 for a 2-chair set.
- IKEA: They have quite a few wall-mounted and folding tables. One of my favorites is the solid wood Norden Gateleg Table, $180. When its leaves are down, it's a counter with built-in storage. When its leaves are up, it seats four.
- West Elm: You can fit more people around a round table than a square one, and it can squeeze into a tight corner. West Elm has a few round and rectangular options for a small space, including this cafe-sized Tripod Table, $200.
- CB2: Their small scale furniture is generally designed for apartments and lofts. This bar-height Sidecar Dining Set has built-in storage, sells for $400, and would work well in a kitchen or a studio apartment. They also have several round options for kitchens or dining rooms.
- Bo Concept: This Danish store is a good resource for mid-to-high-end extension tables. The nice thing about their collection is that many of the tables have built-in extension leaves so that you don't have to store them. This Extendable Dining Table sells for $1,900.
- Treadway/Toomey Galleries: This Hans Olsen dining set is a classic space-saving design that seats four. These are no longer in production, so you have to find vintage versions through eBay, craigslist, antique stores, or auction houses. Illinois-based Treadway/Toomey has sold quite a few.
- Hive: Based out of Portland, Oregon, online shop Hive has a great selection of smallish modern tables and chairs. This x800 Table by Alvar Aalto ($3,090) is a classic bent plywood design available in a square, 28-inch format.
- Unica Home: Headquartered in Las Vegas, Unica Home is another mega-modern online retailer. They have several contemporary pieces, including this 18-30 inch Arktura Coral Dining Table, $770. The laser-cut top makes it feel more lightweight.
- Smart Furniture: This online shop, based out of Tennessee, has a good selection of tables and chairs, including this Calligaris Eleven Table ($1,078). It can be lowered to coffee table height or raised to dining table height, and it extends to seat 6 to 8 people.
- Chiasso: Based in Chicago, this shop has several modern metal and glass options. Glass-topped tables work well in a small space, since they appear visually lighter than an opaque piece. The Astor Dining Table, $328, is 36 inches in diameter.
- European Furniture Warehouse: They have a nice selection of contemporary bars, barstools, tables, and dining chairs. Jasper Morrison's plastic Air Table for Magis ($250) is cafe-sized and can go outside or indoors.
- American Country Home Store: This store is a good resource for classic folding bistro tables. These metal sets can be used indoors or outside, and they come in 26 colors. This is the 24-inch red round folding table, $230.
Photo: Tripod Table from West Elm