When Kristen and Kyle renovated their Portland kitchen, they went with custom cabinetry, schoolhouse lighting, and classic Benjamin Moore colors. The result is a comfortable and functional space that can be updated and personalized with colorful accessories.
Paint, Cabinets, and Counters
- Dovetail Custom Woodworks: Kristen and Kyle used these Portland-based carpenters to build their cabinets and a butcher block-topped island. Kristen says, "I think it’s the custom built cabinets" that "make the kitchen look spiffy aesthetically."
- Benjamin Moore: The kitchen walls are Rockport Gray HC-105, while the cabinets are painted in White Dove OC-17 — a decorator favorite. Benjamin Moore's paints are available in Aura (low-VOC) and Natura (no-VOC) lines.
- Lace Marble: The sink counters are honed absolute black granite cut to fit the space. It's a classic look that helps dark appliances (like the induction cooktop) blend in. The butcher block counters are from Dovetail Custom Woodworks.
Fixtures and Tile
- HomeClick.com: Kristen and Kyle's faucet is a discontinued model, but you can find a similar look by searching for "bridge faucets." We found this Belle Foret Kitchen Bridge Faucet with Matching Spray - N11001 for $279 at online renovation resource HomeClick.com.
- Kohler: The sink is a basic stainless steel single basin model by Kohler, similar to this Staccato Single-Basin Self-Rimming Kitchen Sink, $314, although she says, "we wish we had splurged and gone with a deep farmhouse sink." For other good fixture/sink sources, see this post.
- The ReBuilding Center: Portland has one of the best salvage shops in the country — The Rebuilding Center continually makes our national best of lists. Kristen and Kyle found their classic white subway tile there. They also stock cabinets, flooring, and fixtures.
Lighting & Accessories
- Rejuvenation Hardware: Portland-based Rejuvenation is another one of our go-to sources for period-authentic lighting, hardware and house parts. Their products are handcrafted in the USA, and prices are reasonable. Shown: Rhone Classic Schoolhouse Pendant, $177.
- Amazon.com: Yellow accessories give this kitchen its sunny personality. Kristen says her favorite is the tea kettle: "It gets used every morning and night — we love tea!" Shown: Le Creuset Classic Whistling Tea Kettle, $68 at Amazon.com
- Bambeco: Kristen uses trays to organize supplies like water bottles, flowers, and cooking tools. This Bambeco Soleil Serving Tray Yellow 2-Piece Set is made from 100% recycled materials and finished with polyurethane.
RELATED RESOURCES & MORE INFO
• Kristen and Kyle's Friendly Kitchen
• Restored Style: Source List for a Bungalow Kitchen Remodel on a Budget
• Best Renovation Resources 2010
Photos: Leela Cyd Ross