James' approach to retail seems to be to educate the customer as much as sell them something. Shopping on the Elevenfiftyfour website is like a mini design lesson. The modern classics, like the Cherner Chair, are accompanied by their design histories. The stories behind the classics are interesting but the new designs can be just as entertaining. That the salt and pepper shakers are nicknamed Gordon and Andreas make them even more adorable.
• Cherner Wood Base Bar Stool Norman Cherner's design classic first appeared in 1958 and has been seen in homes all over the world ever since. $749
• Antidote Bottle Vase Designed by Vancouver's 18KARAT these vases are reminiscent of old gin bottles. $25
• Friends Salt & Pepper Set Designed by Troels Øder and HuskMitNavn, the pieces are nicknamed Gordon and Adreas. $40
• Cubus Writing Desk From Team 7, this clever desk, with its printer drawer and other hiding spots, would be perfect for a small space. $3,293
• Norm 69 Designed in 1969 by Simon Karkov, this lamp didn't see production until 2001, when Karkov teamed up with Normann Copenhagen. $129
- Founded: 2010
- Founded by: James Flynn
After studying Design at Concordia Univerisity in Montreal, James went on to open his own business designing and building high end kitchens and furniture for a long list of top tier clients in the Ottawa area. With these skill sets in place, he opened Elevenfiftyfour in 2010 with the intention of introducing a new level of design appreciation to the retail market. Top brands from all over the world are being brought in to Elevenfiftyfour as a means of expressing the importance of good design.