Re-imagined fairy tales, cardboard games & toys
Milimbo is a small publisher in Spain who revisits classic folk tales - like LIttle Red Riding Hood, Hansel & Gretel, and Cinderella - through original illustrations. They publish small runs of screen printed picture books and limited edition posters that use simple, modern images and symbols to retell these well-known stories. Both the color palette and images are spare, leaving interpretation largely up to the reader. The emphasis on emotional response, versus pure plot, is a fresh approach to the familiar. A recent customer comments says it well: "Your Little Red Riding Hood is pure, without artifice, only the line, as essential as the red color of her dress."
Milimbo also makes a series of original models and games out of widely available materials like flat cardboard and toilet paper rolls. Their animal cutouts and other basic shapes are deceptively simple, but ultimately very clever.
You can find Milimbo's fun, graphic creations in their shop. Their blog is also a treasure trove of fun projects and images.
1. An original screen print of Little Red Riding Hood lost in the wood.
2. Kids can build their own model spaceship using only scissors and glue.
3. Characters from LIttle Red Riding Hood move around the forest in this tiny matchbook-sized game.
4. A create-your-own jungle kit with cardboard animal and trees.
5. Modern storage units featuring character illustrations (in collaboration with Limo Ceramics).
(images: as linked above)