- Location: New York, NY
- Founded by: Hope Dana and Kate Platt
- Headquarters: New York, NY
New York-based architects Hope Dana and Kate Platt understand the beauty of the built-in. Their residential work — which includes an impressive series of East Coast apartments, town houses, and country homes — balances classical symmetry with modernist utilitarianism, and the results are rational and beautiful.
Whether working in a small space (like the nook in photo #1) or a large open-plan room (like photo #10), the architects make consistent use of wall-to-wall shelving. Sometimes it's open — allowing rows of books to lend color and personality to a room, and sometimes it's closed — particularly in tight spaces or kitchens where hidden storage helps to create a sense of cleanliness and calm.
In every instance, these rooms feel carefully considered, and every detail seems tailor-made to the needs of the space.
• West Side Apartment 1 — New York, NY
• West Side Apartment 3 — New York, NY
• Brooklyn Heights Apartment — New York, NY
• Upper West Side Townhouse 1 — New York, NY
• West Side Apartment 2 — New York, NY
Photos: Platt Dana Architects