The New Year always brings with it the desire to make changes: big life changes, lifestyle changes, or maybe just an attempt to get the year off to a good start with a little organization. If you work from home or you have a designated work area for the family, it can be tricky to keep that space stylish and organized—and not break the bank doing so. Luckily, if you're a bit handy and don't mind putting in a little effort, you can get a great-looking desk without a big price tag. These 10 modern and stylish DIY desk ideas are so great that no one will ever have to know they're DIY... unless you want them to know, in which case—brag away!
1. In Joe and Alana's Newport Home Full of Bold Colors and Patterns, Alana designed herself an office in the closet of the den and Joe built her a fold-up desk. For more details, head to Out-of-Sight Style: Inspiration and Resources for a Compact Closet Office.
2. A simple but functional workspace full of storage was spotted on Design Sponge.
3. Use this colorful workspace setup by Bondville featured on Petit and Small as inspiration to make your own.
4. Manhattan Nest did a Mid-century modern before-and-after makeover that you have to see to believe.
5. A tres chic feminine workspace spotted on Style Me Pretty is actually an IKEA hack.
6. No room? No problem, with this genius DIY closet desk project by i heart organizing.
7. You can make this designer-looking desk yourself with this tutorial from Sinnen Rausch (German).
8. An expensive- and glam-looking IKEA hack from matsutake only cost $5.
9. Add something gilded to your workspace with this gold-leafed desk DIY by Style Me Pretty
10. Get really handy and make an ultra-cool concrete top desk with this tutorial by The Merrythought for The Home Depot Blog.
(Image credits: Jacqueline Marque; Alex Caryle for Design Sponge; Steph Bond-Hutkin for Bondville; Manhattan Nest; Ruth Eileen for Style Me Pretty; I Heart Organizing; Sinnen Rausch (German); Matsutake; Ruth Eileen for Style Me Pretty; Home Depot Blog)