It's rare that you come across anyone with too much storage space in the bathroom — most homes have a shortage of square footage. If you rent and aren't planning a bathroom renovation any time soon, your options are limited, but wall-mounted, folding, and stackable products can help. Here's a short list of well-designed organizers from Umbra to IKEA to OXO.
- Kikkerland: This company makes a bunch of modern space-savers, like a compact Easy Fold Step Stool in Multiple Colors ($21), a wall-mounted First Aid Box ($23), and a variety of hooks and racks. You can buy their products online or through large retailers like Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Amazon.com.
- Amazon.com: Train racks are classic space-savers. Often crafted of nickel or chrome, they're made to stand up to long-term wear, and they double as shelves and towel hooks. Shown: Taymor 20-Inch Polished Nickel Paris Towel Shelf, under $60.
- Simplehuman: Although pricey, their shower caddies don't slip and slide like cheaper versions. There are several options that can be suction-cupped, tension-mounted, or silicone-glued to the wall without damaging your tile. Shown: Adjustable Caddy with Dispensers, $80.
- Container Store: A go-to source for small space organization, the Container Store has a nice selection of towel racks, wall hooks, and cabinet organizers in a range of prices and styles. They also carry the popular Elfa shelving/storage collection. Shown: Tree Hook, $10.
- Umbra On-line Store: They're a good source for attractive tension rods and small medicine cabinet organizers. Designed by Jason Nip, this Pivo Storage Tray ($20) has three pivoting tiers that keep small bath supplies stacked together.
- IKEA: The Scand-modern megastore is a good source for wall-mounted medicine cabinets, towel shelves, and racks, and the quality's OK if you stick with products made from solid metal or wood. Shown: Godmorgon Mirror Cabinet, $70.
- Rev-A-Shelf: Rev-a-Shelf specializes in pull-out and under-cabinet organizers — the kind that can be installed in a sink cabinet with a drill and a small amount of elbow grease. Shown: Undersink Pull Out Organizer, $110.
- Chiasso: This Chicago store has a bunch of modern chrome bathroom organizers, including wall-mounted soap dispensers, toilet tissue organizers, and hair dryer caddies. Shown: Post Toilet Tissue Holder, $44.