Outdoor electric and battery-operated lighting has gotten better recently, and there are more long-lasting LED options out there. We're also seeing a lot more modern styles, including globe lights and simple lanterns that can easily make the transition from dining room to deck.
- Joby : Their $250 Obus Indoor/Outdoor Lamp by Peter Stathis was one of Maxwell's finds from ICFF. It's a rechargable lamp that he says "lasts a long time (it's LED based) and is totally weatherproof (think heavy rain)... You can prebuy now for August delivery."
- Vessel: This Boston-based store carries several modern, practical solutions for portable outdoor lighting. We like their Candela Lights, which sell for $40 for a set of two. The rechargable, battery-operated lights come with a sleek charger tray.
- Design Within Reach: A consistent resource for modern furniture and accessories, DWR carries several stylish outdoor lamps, including pendants, floor lamps, torches, and portable lighting, like this battery-operated Lau Portable Lamp, $198.
- SaveOnCrafts: These Small Glowing Orbs are battery-operated and they're great for parties. You can program them to cycle through different colors, including blues, reds, oranges, greens, yellows, and purples. $4.30 each.
- Gardener's Supply Company: This set of 10 luminarias is currently on sale for $17. Designed to look like traditional paper-bag luminarias, they're made of translucent plastic with electric lights. All 10 lights are strung together on a cord.
- Allsop Garden: Their Soji Solar Lanterns are portable lights made with solar panels and rechargable LED batteries. Inspired by traditional Japanese lanterns, the Soji Kenzo ($43) is constructed from a nylon shell with the solar panel built into the base.
- YLighting: This online store stocks lamps by all the major high-end, contemporary designers. The Plis Outdoor Floor Lamp by Ramos & Bassols ($2,515) is a large-scale, weatherproof version of an indoor floor lamp.
- Lumens: This is another online lighting store with a large selection of modern outdoor finds. The battery-operated Imageo TeaLights by Philips ($90 for a set of 6) come in frosted glass votives. They're a step up from the plasticy ones you can find at drugstores.
Photo: Obus Indoor/Outdoor Light from Joby