When you're short on cupboard space, a combination of wall-mounted racks with smart cabinet organizers can make a tiny kitchen more functional. Here's our list of best sources for pot racks, drawer organizers, cabinet space-savers, and food storage.
In a small kitchen, a wall or ceiling-mounted pot rack can free up valuable cabinet space. Look for sturdy wood and/or steel racks that can carry a good amount of weight.
- 125West.com: They focus on specialty products for the kitchen, and their online catalog includes pot racks from Enclume, Rogar, and JK Adams. They also carry shelves, including the popular MetroShelving collection.
- IKEA: Their wall-mounted kitchen racks include some of their best-selling lines, like the stainless steel Grundtal series
- Overstock.com: This online catalog has a rotating selection of ceiling and wall-mounted pot racks. Prices are competitive, and they offer free shipping on your first order.
Tiny kitchens often come with narrow drawers. When shopping for a silverware organizer, look for modular, interlocking styles that can be configured to fit inside a tight space.
- Williams-Sonoma: Their simple modular drawer organizers are made from mahogany (yum) and they start at $30 for a two-piece set. They also have a nice kitchen organization catalog with products from SimpleHuman, OXO, Le Creuset, and other brands.
- Stacks and Stacks: This online organization store has a huge selection of drawer dividers. Although they're not as design-minded as some of the other stores on this list, they're a good resource for affordable problem solvers.
- The Organized Parent: Although this online store is targeted towards parents rather than cooks, it's included in the list because of the smart click-together drawer organizers they sell for $28. Magnets hold the modular boxes together.
Cabinet and Pantry Organizers
To make the most of your available cabinet space, consider basic shelving inserts, roll-out drawer organizers, or—if you've got a little more to spend—a hinged or pivoting system.
- Container Store: Their online and brick-and-mortar stores have huge kitchen sections with solutions for cabinets, pantries, and sinks.
- Simplehuman: Sold through their online shop or through big box retailers like Bed, Bath & Beyond, SimpleHuman's cabinet organizers are designed to roll out on stainless steel gliders.
- Rev-A-Shelf: They specialize in rolling, sliding, and pull-out organizers for narrow kitchen cabinets. If you're renovating or redesigning your cabinets, they're a good source to bookmark.
Stackable, modular canisters can make more space for food storage. If your kitchen lacks a pantry, create a substitute with a wall-mounted cabinet or shelf and some stacked dry goods containers.
- Crate and Barrel: Their kitchen section has a number of different options for stackable containers.
- Rubbermaid: Well-known for making inexpensive storage solutions, Rubbermaid has some new modular product lines that are designed to maximize space.
- Specialty Bottle: If you're looking for inexpensive glass jars, this online store is a great resource. They carry gallon jugs, mason jars, and plastic containers at cheap prices, and it's easy to order a case of containers in bulk.
• Kitchen Organizers: Shopping Guide
• High/Low: Kitchen Drawer Organization
• Sources for Small Kitchen Renovations
• Bright, White Industrial Kitchen: Get the Look
Photo: Jim Franco | Apartment Therapy's Big Book of Small Cool Spaces