Whether you have a dining room table, an open bar or kitchen island, a pendant lamp makes for a great lighting solution. By providing a low, diffused glow, these ceiling lights create cozy atmospheres, ideal for intimate gatherings. Because style options can be seemingly endless and mind-boggling, let us help you choose with these ten high and low recommendations from our Marketplace.
- Niche Modern: This Brooklyn shop was started by designer Jeremy Pyles as a showcase for his colorful, modern pendants and ceiling lights made from hand-blown glass. Pictured here: Oculo Modern Pendant Light, $550
- Restoration Hardware: With this ever-evolving company moving toward more authenticity in their products, Restoration Hardware is a great place to check out for quality reproductions. I love this 1900’s Pharmacy Pendant with its adjustable swing arm and steel finish. $249.
- FLOS: Since 1962, this company has been producing modern lighting, developing new concepts and collaborating with inventive designers. The Splügen Bräu, designed by Achille Castiglioni is pretty iconic with its mid-century beehive look. Available at YLighting for $472
- Modernica: You can’t write a post about pendant lamps without mentioning the name George Nelson. His bubble lamps are considered THE pendant since 1947. An innovation of design, the simple shapes were constructed out of tight plastic over a steel wire frame, providing a diffused glow. $269
- Artemide: One of the global leaders of residential and professional lighting, Artemide stocks glorious modern lighting pieces at luxury prices. Pictured here: Castore Sospensione, designed by Huub Ubbens & Michele De Lucchi. Visit store page for ordering information.
- IKEA: Always a great place to look for basic pieces that might otherwise cost a fortune, this IKEA MINUT pendant lamp with its simple design is a deal at only $39.99, and evokes the feeling of a more expensive designer ceiling light.
- West Elm: The industrial aesthetic is very hot right now, and believe me, vintage dealers know it all too well. Avoid the outstanding prices you might pay for an old beat up pendant and check out one of these bright lamps available at West Elm. Prices start at only $19.
- CB2: Even mid-range retailers like CB2 can get a little pricey when it comes to lighting, but there are still deals to be had. The Eden Pendant Lamp is a really nice, straightforward drum shade with classic looks that could fit in almost any style room. $49.95
- Home Depot: Okay, so in general, the lighting selection seems more suited for a Chili’s restaurant than your stylish kitchen, but dig deep enough and there are simple and affordable options to be had. This Hampton Bay Kylin Light, with its slight mid-century look is a real bargain at the sale price of only $99.
- Lamps Plus: This online store is full of lighting solutions of all kinds, and with a wide selection of plug-in lamps, it’s a great go-to for renters. Pictured here: Possini Dandelion Chandelier, $89.99