When you have children, your need for storage space can quickly (and freakishly) multiply. Editing what you own is the best way to keep your stuff from overwhelming you, but good storage can help, too. Particularly if it's modular storage that can adapt and expand when needed.
- Smart Furniture: This webshop specializes in stackable storage. They carry the popular Cubits shelving, modular Smart Shelves, and the stackable ABS plastic Componibili in round or square shapes. Shown: Red Componibili Storage Modules, starting at $160.
- IKEA: For affordable modular shelving and storage, try the Expedit Bookcase, the Stuva System for kids, or the Trofast, a long-standing favorite on Apartment Therapy. Shown: Trofast Storage Combination, $62.
- Container Store: They carry the Swedish Elfa shelving system, sold in components that fit together to create wall shelving or stackable storage. Right now, they're having their annual 30 percent off Elfa sale. Shown: Platinum Elfa Mesh Start-A-Stack, on sale for $84.
- Unica Home: This modern webshop carries designer shelving from Kartell, Moroso, Established and Sons, and other brand ($$$) names that could work in a living room or a high-design nursery. Shown: Kartell Modular Bookshelf, starting at $193/cube.
- Way Basics: Their stackable modular cubbies are made from Z-board, a recycled paper-based substance that's sturdy but lightweight. Storage cubes come in 9 colors and 2 basic sizes. Shown: 6 Pink Modular Cubes, $20/cube.
- Target: Their storage and shelving options include the RiverRidge Kids Collection. Many different configurations are available for use with bins and open shelving, and the collection is currently offered at a promotional price. Shown: RiverRidge Kids 6 Bins , $55.24.
- Design Public: They have modular shelving from Offi, Blu Dot, Brave Space, and House Fish, a company that creates modular cabinets that can be used alone as a toy box, stacked into a book case, or mounted to the wall. Shown: Housefish Key Modular Storage, $79 - $579.
- MUJI : This Japanese online retailer (with stores in New York) has a collection of simple, stackable acrylic and plastic boxes that would work well for Legos and other small toy storage.
- Fawn & Forest: This modern baby retailer has a good range of storage options from Q Collection, Oeuf, and True Modern. Their P'Kolino Smart Modular System is a series of cubes and drawers that fit together into changeable configurations. Shown: P'Kolino Kube Storage, $77.
• Cubbies and Shelves for Kids' Rooms: 12 Sources
• 10 Storage Solutions for Kids' Rooms
• Best Toy Bins for Kids' Rooms: High and Low
• Top 10 Modular Shelving Systems
Photo: P'Kolino Playfully Smart Modular System at Fawn and Forest