Ethan is a six-year-old boy living in Massachusetts, and he's already skilled at choosing paint colors. Ethan and his mom, Kim, shared photos with Ohdeedoh, where you can read the whole story of how Kim helped her son develop a sophisticated room that really reflects his personality. For tips on achieving a similar look, here's our shopping guide.
- Benjamin Moore: Ethan's mom says that he "loves dark, deep, saturated color. The wall color, which I love, was a compromise. He wanted purple, I told him lavender. He settled for blue, I let him choose the shade." They chose Benjamin Moore's Polished Slate for the darker wall and Woodlawn Blue for the lighter one.
- IKEA: Ethan's bed is a discontinued version of IKEA's $330 MANDAL bed, which is still sold through the store with added storage drawers and no headboard. Another option is the $179 MALM bed (shown left), which comes in oak and birch veneers.
- VandM.com: Ethan's mom found a vintage Danish chest on eBay and used it as a nightstand. We spotted a similar vintage case piece on antique shopping site V & M for $395.
- eBay: Online vintage places like eBay, craigslist, and Etsy are good places to look for footstools like the one in Ethan's room. Search for terms like "Danish modern footstool" or "mid century footstool." We found this one (left) on eBay.
- Garnet Hill: Classic patchwork quilts can be found in antique shops or new stores that sell traditional bedding. Garnet Hill has a good selection (like this Spot On Quilt and Sham for $200 - $400). Also check out the Company Store—they have an online kids section if you're looking for a specific size or style.
- Etsy: For a big selection of retro vintage desk lamps, check Etsy. This one from thesundaytimesmarket is $35.
Accessories and Toys
- Arthur's Circus: Parents Natalie and Nicholas named their online store after their son, Arthur. They live in Australia, where they collect vintage toys and artwork, which they sell online through their big cartel shop.
- Land of Nod: Although it's not shown in the photo above, Ethan's room has a very cool play Teepee in the corner. The Land of Nod sells a similar one for $150, or you can check this post for more options.
- Acorn: Brooklyn-based toy shop Acorn carries a nice selection of old-fashioned, solid wood playthings that cost more than you might pay at Toys R' Us, but are really built to last. We especially like all their cars, trucks, and planes, like this large Container Truck for $115.
Kim used several other Etsy shops to help Ethan decorate his room, including:
• Trampoline (Kim's Etsy shop)
• Solstice Home on Etsy
• Sweet Love Vintage on Etsy
For the full tour of Ethan's room, click here.
Photo: Kim Ludy