This is Sam's bedroom — she's a designer based in Sydney, Australia, who knows how to personalize a space while keeping it streamlined, cool, and calm. Her bedroom is like a showroom for well-designed modern and contemporary pieces, and her setup is surprisingly tech-friendly for such a simple space.
- The Conran Shop: Sam uses a small white ABS plastic storage unit as a bedside table. (You can't see it in the photo above but you can see here.) It's called a Componibili designed by Anna Castelli Ferrieri for Kartell, and it's available at the Conran Shop and other stores, starting around $120.
- IKEA: A task lamp next to Sam's bed provides adjustable reading light and fits in with the room's modern aesthetic. IKEA sells the inexpensive and popular Antifoni Work Lamp for $30, but if you're looking for a similar design on the higher end, you can check out this list.
- Amazon.com: In place of an alarm clock, Sam uses a portable Bose SoundDock ($400), which can play decent-sounding music in any room and hook up to an iPhone or iPod to double as an alarm clock.
- Apple: The beauty of iPhones is that they replace the need for multiple devices — it's a phone, MP3 player, and a way to surf the web all in one. Used in the bedroom, it's also an alarm clock. The iOS 4 is the latest version available through Apple, starting at $200.
Bed and Bedding
- FinnStyle: The fabric used on Sam's throw pillows is Marimekko's large-scale Kivet pattern in yellow. If want premade pillows (rather than buying the fabric and making your own covers), Minneapolis-based FinnStyle carries the Kivet Pillow in Turquoise and Lime for $64.
- IKEA: Sam's is an IKEA Malm Bed ($200) in white, a color that's not currently available through US IKEAs (although there is a light birch version for sale). For another clean-lined, inexpensive white frame, try the $279 Trondheim Bed.
- Gama-Go: The pillow in the corner is a "Flying V Guitar Pillow," once available through web shop Gama-Go but no longer sold there. For a similar design, check out the Ferm Living Guitar Pillow, available at Velocity for $67.
- Unison: Plain white bedding is available through lots of different retailers. One we like is Chicago-based Unison, who sells a set of Fulton White Bedding starting at $124. For other options, see this post.
Artwork and Accessories
- The Shop at Cooper-Hewitt: The item hanging off the door handle is a Max 365 Perpetual Wall Calendar, a minimalist piece that you can use year after year. Designed by Massimo Vignelli, it's available through modern design shops, including the Cooper Hewitt's store, for $65.
- Lumens: The red piece in the corner is a Jack Light by Tom Dixon, available through online lighting retailer Lumens for $600. It sits on the floor and doubles as sculpture and lighting, all in one very cool form.
- Smart Furniture: The sculptural shelf on the wall looks like the Lovely Rita, named in honor of the Beatles song, designed by Ron Arad, and produced by Kartell. Web shop Smart Furniture sells the shelf for $285.
- Room & Board: Stools are multi-purpose pieces that can fill in as bedside tables or a surface to catch your clothes. The Eames Walnut Stool, available through R&B and other modern retailers for $829, is a solid wood piece that's so beautiful it can pass for sculpture.
To see the full tour of this home, click here.