Jessica and Eli updated their condo kitchen by painting, adding a few new energy-efficient appliances, and focusing on lighting and furniture. Everything lives together comfortably, and there's a laid-back feeling to the space that's achieved with simple, classic furnishings and pale yellow walls against dark kitchen cabinets. Here's a complete source list, with products and links, to achieve a similar look.
Pale Yellow Paint Color
- Benjamin Moore: Eli and Jessica matched their walls to a Benjamin Moore color called Lemon Twist 394, a light, cool yellow from their Classic Color Collection. If you're looking for more yellow paint recommendations, see this post.
Classic Table and Chairs
- CB2: The kitchen table is CB2's Darjeeling Dining Table ($899). The top is made from reclaimed railroad ties and the base is raw metal that's been finished with a clear powdercoat. It seats 6, or 8 if you add chairs at each end of the table.
- IKEA: Eli and Jessica have CB2's Spindle Chairs, which have since been discontinued from the catalog. For a similar style, try IKEA's Olle Chair, $35, DWR's Salt Chair, $98, or — for the real deal — get a set of Paul McCobb Planner Chairs.
- PC Richard & Son: The refrigerator is Summit's FFBF245SS, an Energy Star-qualified model. It's available at several different appliance and electronics stores, including PC Richard & Son, where it's priced at $1,169.97.
- Frigidaire: Eli and Jessica chose a dishwasher by Frigidaire — shown left is the Energy Star Professional 24-inch Built-in Dishwasher for $800. It's available at lots of different big box and chain stores, as well as through Frigidaire online.
- Abt Electronics and Appliances: This kitchen's oven is the Premier Pro-Series Free Standing Gas Range. It has lifetime-guaranteed burners and it's a slim 24 inches wide. You can find it online or in-person at several stores; we found one for $990 at Chicago-based (and online) retailer ABT.
Updated Kitchen Cabinets
- Mythic Paint: Jessica and Eli used Mythic paint to update their outdated cabinets. Mythic makes no-VOC latex paints, and — like most paint companies — they can match colors on request. For cabinets like the ones shown above, try a dark blue/black, like Smooth Indigo 026-6.
- Kitchen Cabinet Hardware: The cabinets formerly had gold hardware, which Jessica and Eli switched out for new cup pulls. If you're looking for a specific style, online source Kitchen Cabinet Hardware has a huge inventory. Shown left are their Antique Silver Cup Pulls, $32.
Aluminum Pendant Lighting
- IKEA: Aluminum pendants are well suited to a classic kitchen, and they're available in lots of prices and styles. The IKEA Foto Pendant Lamps, $30, can be connected to the 365+ Sanda track system if you're looking to do a full line of pendants across the kitchen.
For the full tour of this home, as well as a complete resource list, click here.
• Sources for Small Kitchen Renovations
• Customized IKEA Kitchen: Get the Look
• Modern Kitchens: High & Low
• Crisp & Classic Kitchen: Get the Look
• Sunny Retro Kitchen: Get the Look
Photo: Kyle Freeman