Apart from a sofa, a bed is the piece of furniture you'll probably spend the most on in your home. Since it's also the piece of furniture you use the most, we advocate buying the best you can afford, but if you're on a tight budget or you need a temporary bed to hold you over until you've finished saving up for your bed-of-a-lifetime, here are 10 good sources under $1,000.
- IKEA: We know, we know. IKEA? Duh. Despite the obviousness of this source, we think they're a good resource for attractive inexpensive beds that can hold you over until you've saved up for your 'forever' bed. Shown: Edland 4-Poster Bed Frame, $300.
- Charles P. Rogers: Based in New York since 1855, this store has a website with a good selection of quality brass and iron beds, some under $1,000. Check the clearance section for good deals — this Parsons Bamboo Platform Bed is on clearance for $700 (reg. $1,300).
- MUJI : Japanese designer Naoto Fukasawa is the mind behind their beautiful solid wood Ash Bed, which starts around $315. Although MUJI has a US webshop, the bed is unfortunately not listed online — it's only available in America through their stores in New York.
- Room & Board: 90 percent of their furniture is made in America, and the construction tends to be solid and basic. Their classic Parsons Bed (made from hand-welded powder-coated steel) is now available in nine colors. Pricing starts at $700.
- The Grove Furniture: Lots of unfinished furniture stores carry bed frames, but New Jersey-based 'The Grove' is one of our favorites. They have a beautiful Shaker Headboard, on sale for $429 (reg $516), as well as a Shaker Bed, on sale for $709 (reg $852).
- The American Iron Bed Company: If you're looking for a classic iron bed, check here first. This online shop offers good value, and they have a clearance section with closeout pricing and models that come with free shipping. They also have a rotating selection of antique beds for sale.
- CB2: Their bed inventory is slim and fairly standard, but they're a good resource for simple modern pieces, particularly platform beds between $600 and $1,500. Shown: Alpine White Bed (made from a high-gloss white powdercoated steel frame), $600 - $700.
- Overstock.com: Using the price sorter and scanning reader reviews, you can find a cheap but decent bed frame here for as little as $150 or as much as $1,500, depending on what you're looking for. Shown: Simple Full-size Cordovan Platform Bed, $152.
- West Elm: Known for their Asian-inspired platform beds, West Elm has expanded their inventory a little this year, and they're stocking more upholstered headboards and metal bed frames. Overall, we like the selection — particularly this Herringbone Bed, starting at $400.
OTHER GOOD OPTIONS
• Shop hotel liquidators for discount beds — Fort Pitt and Cooper are 2 good resources.
• Shop vintage and thrift stores — click here for a good short list.
• Shop flash sale sites that carry furniture & home decor — here are a few to start with.
Photo: Herringbone Bed Set at West Elm