Benjamin & Thomas Cherner
After listening to countless requests from fellow Architects to see his father's designs reissued, Benjamin decided to join with his brother Thomas to form the Cherner Chair Company in 1999. Since then the Cherner Chair Company has brought back into production many of Norman Cherner's most popular designs. Utilizing his original drawings and specifications, the reissued designs are manufactured with the same attention to detail found in the original hand made classics. Cherner Chair products are now distributed through dealers worldwide.
In addition to reissuing the molded plywood chairs, stools and tables, The Cherner Chair Company has introduced new designs by Benjamin Cherner.
The Cherner Chair Company is the sole licensor of Norman Cherner and Benjamin Cherner designs.
The graceful lines of Norman Cherner's molded plywood chairs have made them a classic for over 50 years. They've appeared in homes, restaurants, and hotels around the world, particularly since his sons reissued them in 1999. It's no wonder — their sweeping lines pair well with both modern and traditional dining room tables, desks and vanities, bedroom sets and on and on.
While Cherner chairs are definitely an investment piece, their beauty and versatility ensure that they won't be trend pieces. As each of these rooms show, the chairs can be incorporated into different decorating styles and used as everything from side chairs around a mismatched table to a extra seat beside a floral couch.
1. A lone armchair looks sculptural in the corner of a bedroom in Tiffany and Jaan's Scandinavian-Inspired Flat.
2. Designer Steven Gambrel uses Cherner Side Chairs in an eclectic kitchen in Southampton. Via House Beautiful.
3. An armchair sits by a floor-to-ceiling window in this airy bedroom from Light Locations.
4. Cherner armchairs and a black walnut table are juxtaposed with a glitzy chandelier in a dining room from Elle Decor.
5. A Side Chair is paired with a walnut "E" and beautifully styled desk in an office space from Emma's Designblogg.
6. Cherner chairs warm up a massive white table in a space from The Cherner Chair Company.
7. An armchair is unexpected and lovely paired with a floral couch in Jennifer McGarigle's LA bungalow. Via Design*Sponge.
8. A mix of Cherner chairs flank a large table in this sunny space in Brooklyn. Via Dwell.
9. Side Chairs bring out the colors of the rug and balance with the dark walls in this dining room from Style North.
10. An armchair pairs well with artwork in a space designed by Ania Stempi.
Images: 1. Jessica Watson for Apartment Therapy 2. Eric Plasecki for House Beautiful 3. Light Locations 4. William Waldron for Elle Decor 5. Emma's Designblogg 6. The Cherner Chair Company 7. Design*Sponge 8. Dean Kaufman for Dwell. 9. Christopher Jones for Style North 10. Ania Stempi