- Location: Poulsbo, WA and online
- Specialty: Craftsman quality bamboo furniture with a modern aesthetic
- Price range: $$$
- Website: eldotdesigns.com
- Founded: 2003
- Founded by: Lishu and Leonardo Rodriguez
- Headquarters: Poulsbo, Washington
One glance at el dot's furniture and you know you've seen something special. There's a fluidity of line, a simplicity of design and honesty in materials, that when combined is captivating. Upon closer inspection, you'll notice something else - these supremely handcrafted pieces are not only gorgeous, but sustainable...
Lishu and Leonardo Rodrigez met and fell in love while studying environmental arts and design in Los Angeles. Originally from Nepal and Venezuela, the couple started their own custom furniture studio inspired by their interest in indigenous cultures and craftsmanship. Eventually, they moved to Nepal. It was there that they became enamored with bamboo, a common highly sustainable material that was being used as "the poor man's timber" to build temporary and low rent structures. They began to experiment with the material, pushing its limits and exploring its design potential. Lishu and Leo realized that with bamboo, and other sustainable materials like rosewood, they could produce a high-end line of readymade furniture pieces that would not only be beautiful but that would provide jobs and support the local economy.
Today, el dot is a certified "B" company; one that's committed to using the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. Their furniture can be found online at Supermarket and Abe's Market.
Images: el dot
Around the Web
- el dot’s Gorgeous Green Furniture is Made from Fast-Growing Bamboo[inhabitat]
- el dot Brings Sustainable Bamboo Furniture to Pacific Northwest[It's Time for Business]
- El Dot: Contemporary Bamboo Furniture[Stuff Veronica Likes]
- Bamboo With Benefits[Portland Monthly]