Sometimes you just want to try something a little different. If you're looking to shake up your look in the living room, look no further than this collection of 11 creative ideas and tweaks to your existing style that'll take it to the next level.
1. Add some wall-mounted bookshelves behind your sofa, as shown above. It's like a gallery wall on steroids: the possibilities are nearly endless.
2. Add an interesting rug (or rugs!).
3. Play with your lighting. Lamps don't always have to live on end tables: try an interesting floor lamp next to the sofa instead, like these swing-arm styles.
4. Another way to play with lighting is to dangle a pendant lamp a short distance above your coffee table. Makes the whole room more interesting and more intimate.
5. Fill a whole wall with a grid of rectangular frames for a big impact.
6. Shake things up a little with some off-center art.
7. Replace your coffee table with a group of interesting smaller tables.
8. Adding an oversized mobile will draw the eye up, and give your living room an interesting, dynamic feel.
9. Add a single brightly colored piece to a neutral room.
10. Make a big splash with a single, oversized piece of art.
11. Use wall-mounted shelves to create an eye-catching display for favorite books and favorite things to enliven an unused stretch of wall.
Re-edited from a post originally published 2.10.15-NT