It's not unusual to see salvaged railroad ties being offered up for little to nothing on Craigslist. They're an extremely common landscaping material, but that doesn't mean they have to be used in common ways. Here are some ideas for using them in your landscape with a contemporary twist:
- This idea for stepping "stones" from Nicolock (via Houzz) is a great use for old ties.
- The Aspen outdoor seating collection at Restoration Hardware practically channels Donald Judd.
- Troy Rhone Gardens used railroad ties in a raised bed design, but it was crafted with just enough precision and care to elevate it above your typical raised bed of the same material.
- A large railroad tie lifted up on cross pieces forms a generous and sleek bench in this garden by Creative Union.
- One more modern bench by Richard Wintersole Architect.
(Images: as linked above)