3 Ideas for Easy, Fuss-Free Friendsgiving Decorating
Friendsgiving brings together two of the best things in life — food and friends — while leaving out one of the, er, more challenging (weird holiday family dynamics). When you celebrate Thanksgiving with the family you create yourself, you can do things up the way you want. Skip the cornucopias and go for easy-to-install decorations, along with a Command™ Brand toolkit that lets you get everything up (or down) in just a few minutes with no damage to walls.
To get you inspired, we pulled together three simple themes to set the mood, all easy to put up and then clean up. Because Friendsgiving is all about minimizing stress and maximizing fun.
Instead of using nails, screws, or tacks, we installed each display with damage-free hanging solutions. Each holds strong and comes off clean on a variety of surfaces, such as painted drywall, finished wood, glass, metal, or tile surfaces.
- Command™ Poster Strips: These adhesive strips are a great damage-free alternative to double stick tape.
- Command™ Clear Decorating Clips: These clear clips are almost invisible on the wall so your decor stands out.
- Command™ Clear Mini Hooks: Also nearly invisible, these little hooks hold up to 1/2 pound, so they’re great for garlands and streamers.
- Command™ Spring Clips: These decorative clips are designed to display photos, mementos, and art projects.
- Garlands: Each of these projects is a different take on decorating with garlands, whether paper, pendants or botanicals. Supplies are easy to find at a craft or party supply store. Choose whatever modern, traditional, or otherwise wacky look that works for you, or take one of the looks we’re sharing with you.
1. Get Your Garland Game On
- To make a festive wall, pick up a few garlands at a party supply store. We found four to be our magic number, in different sizes, shapes, and colors.
- Hang the top garland first, and work your way down. Use Command™ Clear Mini Hooks to hang it. You can use a level or ruler to make sure the hooks are aligned, or you can just eyeball it. (For tips on hanging Command™ Hooks, see the slideshow above.)
- As you hang the next garlands, keep a distance of a couple inches between each strand. Hold up the garland to eye its placement, then mark the spots for your hooks.
- Once your garlands are strung, set a buffet with help-yourself glasses and pitchers. The occasional pumpkin can make your table feel even more festive. If you want to be extra fancy, give guests their own placecards.
2. Make a Harvest Menu
- Get people excited about the meal with a rustic menu on the wall. This is a helpful addition to a buffet table that lets guests know what’s coming their way.
- Cut a sheet from a roll of Kraft paper. Write your menu on the paper using a permanent marker, or if it’s potluck, have guests write their dishes as they arrive.
- Use Command™ Poster Strips to hang your paper on the wall.
- Use a garland to decorate around the edges of your menu. We picked up a dried-berry garland at a local craft store, but you can also use a paper garland or a string of leaves, like boxwood or eucalyptus. Use Command™ Clear Mini Hooks to hang it. (See instructions above and on the packaging for details.)
- Decorate the table with pumpkins, gourds, and dishes so that guests can grab a plate.
3. Cultivate an Attitude of Gratitude
- This DIY project is a fun way to get guests to share what they love about each other, and it’s easy to make.
- Just pick up some colored cardstock and paint pens from a craft or stationery store.
- To make the banner, spell out G-R-A-T-I-T-U-D-E across nine sheets of cardstock, then clip them to the wall using Command™ Spring Clips.
- Set out cardstock, paint pens, and clips for your friends to use, and encourage them to post what they’re thankful for on the wall.
- To dress up your table, add some fresh flowers and tealights. Simple pleasures are the best.
NOTE: If your project requires other Command™ Brand products, make sure to check the package instructions for weight limits and step-by-step installation tips!
This post is sponsored by Command™ Brand.
Thank you for supporting the brands that make Apartment Therapy possible.