Marissa and Justin moved into their home two years ago, but never really figured out how to furnish their outdoor space. They use their deck and yard all the time, especially for entertaining, but Marissa doesn't feel like the camping chairs and odds and ends laying around (um, there seems to be a puppet??) make for a particularly inviting space. To show some of the many possible ways to make the most of a backyard, the Apartment Therapy team joined forces with Pier 1 to help Marissa and Justin turn their unfinished space into two beautiful and comfortable outdoor rooms, perfect for entertaining.
The key to pulling together a polished, "adult" outdoor space is to consider it another room of the home. The furniture should be attractive enough that you could bring it indoors, but high-enough quality to withstand the elements.
And don't neglect the details! Just because you're outside doesn't mean that you can't have cool lighting or a fun sculpture – like Marissa's new bird sculpture. These little personal touches make the difference between a functional space and one that feels like home.
Now, with their hammered copper fire pit and big cozy Sunasan, Marissa and Justin will finally be using their yard as an outdoor living room. An assortment of garden stools can serve as extra seating or occasional tables when they have company.
Their deck is a much more inviting space for entertaining now that it includes a dining table with umbrella, a great bar setup for outdoor cocktails, and actual non-folding chairs!
Love this look? You can find it all at Pier 1. Here are some of the pieces we found for Marissa and Justin:
On the deck:
- Casbah Stacking Chairs in Mocha, which we put around the Ciudad Chat Table, Mocha
- Aluminum Umbrella, Sand 7', tricked out with the LED Shimmering Umbrella Pendant Light
- Echo Beach Sideboard in Latte, where you can put out your food and drink supplies
- Medallion Hanging Floor Lantern in Multi and, on the table, Mosaic Rim Tealight Holders, for evening ambiance
- Peacock Plume Doormat to define the transition between indoors and out
- Capella Island Dining Chairs in Whiskey as side chairs, paired with the Leaf Accent Table
- Birdies Wall Planter, to dress up – and green – the wall
In the yard:
- Obviously the centerpiece of this whole setup is that glorious Double Sunasan Bed with its cozy cream cushion, but we think the look is made by the honey-colored and striped pillows
- An assortment of garden stools are versatile for seating or eating: we chose 2 Arabellas and a Sand Dollar
- Speaking of versatile, the Zira Fire Pit Table converts into an ice cooler for warmer days, and of course can just be a lovely embossed cocktail table when you need neither fire nor ice.
- Sticking with the bird theme from the deck wall, we accessorized with the Preening Crane sculpture and the Ceramic Mother with Babies Bird Feeder
- And don't forget mood lighting: a couple of Moroccan Lanterns and Gem Round Lanterns