"Work" can look like many different things, and a typical 9-to-5 commuter job is only one of them. You might be a freelancer, or a graveyard-shift-er, or a part-time-er, or somebody who spends their days taking care of their family. All that matters is that you're happy with where you're at.
When your life is in perfect balance, work is fun and motivating. Work takes just the right amount of time in your day (or week or year or life). And most importantly, when life is balanced, you feel like you are exactly whee you're supposed to be right now. If those things aren't true, then it might be time to reexamine your professional life. Do you need to spend less time at the office? Could you use some strategies for working smarter instead of harder? Or maybe is it time to quit and strike out on your own?
Find Harmony at Home
In order to bring your life into balance, it can help to see a top-down, bird's-eye view.
Once you know that your career is an area of your life that needs attention, you next need to focus that energy and figure out exactly what kind of efforts would bring this area of your life back into balance.
To master your own domain…
- Maybe go freelance: According to This Study, Quitting Your Job Might Actually Be Worth It
- Or at least take it from a freelancer: How Not to Be Miserable at Work: 3 Lessons I've Learned Being My Own Boss
To expand your horizons...
- Learn and grow: Where Smart People Look for Career Advice, Today
- Go global: Study Abroad for Grown-Ups: The Surprisingly Affordable Way 3 Women Took Their Offices Global This Year
- Take more chances: 3 Big Things that Are Holding You Back in Your Career
- Become bilingual: 5 Places You Can Learn a New Language (For Free)
To work smarter, not harder….
- Plan your days: 6 Things Most People Forget to Schedule Into Their Workdays
- Break through blocks: Good Advice from Great Artists on Busting Through a Creative Block
- Unlock your ingenuity: 7 Ways to Be Your Most Creative Self
- Look for inspiration everywhere: Improv Comedy Tricks That Help You Get Ahead in Real Life, Too
To maintain work/life balance...
- Control your time: Secrets of People Who Leave Work on Time, Every Day
- Work happy and stay healthy: 4 Surprising Reasons Your Desk Needs a Plant
- Try essential oils for your sanity: 5 Aromatherapy Tricks for Surviving the Work Week
When it's time for a change…
- Make the switch: The Best Time of Year to Kick Off a Job Search