Name: Katrina & Draz, their son, Eddie, and Yoshi the dog
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Size: 120 square metres (1,292 square feet)
Years lived in: 5 years; Owned
Katrina and Draz are absolute fans the 1950s, rock-n-roll and vintage Americana, so it's no surprise that their home reflects all of these things. It is so refreshing to find people that share a love and appreciation of history and nostalgia—and who made it a point to find a vintage home in original condition and keep it that way! They have retained the layout and design of the existing 1950s home instead of bulldozing it.
Katrina is a product manager for ANZ, and Draz is a carpenter and site supervisor for a construction company. They have created a comfortable and cozy family home for themselves and their 9.5-month-old cutie, Eddie. Draz has completed many of the improvements the couple have undertaken around their home, from building a new shed/garage out back and incorporating a tiki-style bar to re-landscaping the front and back yards, building a deck, installing fencing, and more. The kitchen is in original condition with the existing retro stove still working brilliantly. In the future, Katrina and Draz would like to have a little more interior space, so an extension may be in the cards in the coming years.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Mid-century modern and whatever we find that looks good with it.
Inspiration: Palm Springs, stylish friends' houses, and Apartment Therapy!
Favorite Element: Massive windows in lounge and master bedroom, and the original lounge room light fixture.
Biggest Challenge: The deck, with its rounded corners and built-in kennel for Yoshi!
What Friends Say: They love it! And keep the kitchen, especially the oven.
Biggest Embarrassment: Imperfect ceiling paint!!
Proudest DIY: We have a few: the deck, double garage, which replaced the original single garage and carport. Cowboy boot shelves in Eddie’s nursery—how else do you display your cowboy boots? Re-landscaped front and back yards by Draz, which have taken a few years to complete.
Biggest Indulgence: Hollywood sofa from Angelucci, and dining table and chairs from Lost & Found Market.
Best Advice: When you see something you love, buy it! I have walked away from way too much awesome vintage. Everything that I found and never bought, I am still searching for!!!
Dream Sources: eBay, Etsy, The Mill Markets, Lost & Found Market, 20th Century Scandinavia, Smith St Bazaar.
PAINT & COLORS
- Paint: unknown
- Wallpaper: Bristol Starburst
- Carved wooden tiki: Watango Tiki
- Bamboo planter: Model No. 143
- Angelique Houtkamp prints: Outré Gallery
- '70s ship painting: vintage
- Painted velvet lady: Kustom Lane Gallery
- Painted velvet tiki: Kustom Lane Gallery
- Double sliding cavity door: installed by Draz
- Sofa: Hollywood upholstered in Warwick fabric from Angelucci 20th Century
- Teak unit: Lost & Found
- Crazy paving on mantel and around gas heater: DIY by Draz
- Gold horseshoes: from Katrina and Draz's wedding, given to guests as good luck bonbonieri
- Assorted West German vases: various sellers on Etsy
- Antlers: eBay
- Derek Yaniger print: Outré Gallery
- Lion, Bull and Owl by Gus McLaren: Outré Gallery
- Starburst wall clock: Westclox
- Louis Poulsen pendant light: eBay
- Rosewood dining table and chairs: Lost & Found
- 1950s fruit bowl: Mill Markets in Daylesford, restored by Draz
- Josephine print: Neryl Walker
- Electric oven and electric stovetop: 1959 St George originals
- Kitchen table and chairs: purchased from original home owner
- Fruit bowl on kitchen table: Witchery
- Blue vase: wedding gift
- 1960s saucer pendant light: eBay
- Bed frame: purchased from original homeowner
- Dresser with built-in wardrobe: purchased from original homeowner
- Art above bed: Vladimir Tretchikoff
- Cot: Boori
- Chair: replica Featherston from Silla
- Footstool: replica Featherston from Silla
- Cowhide rug: IKEA
- Built-in wardrobe: built by Draz
- Chest of drawers used as changing table: 20th Century Scandinavia
- Deer light: Big Dreams
- Jackalope: KIDS Interior Designs
- Copenhagen Zoo print: 20th Century Scandinavia
- Rattan fold-out couch/daybed: Fler from Smith St Bazaar
- Johnny Cash skull screen print: Etsy
- Naked lady screen print: Karen Dinh
- Supersuckers/New Bomb Turks screen print: Frank Kozik
- Jon Spencer Blues Explosion screen print: Coop
- Tattoo flash artwork: purchased on holiday while the US a few years ago
- Garage: built by Draz
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!