Name: Lynn Pike
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Size: 937 square feet
Years lived in: 7 years; Owned
With her signature red lips and red glasses, Lynn is charismatic and has a strong sense of style. Lynn is the owner of a clothing boutique, Tallulah’s, and has been for almost 40 years. Her keen eye for design and understanding of color has flourished with many years of buying for her boutique.
Both her boutique and her home reflect her vibrant personality and her eclectic style. East meets West with a touch of old world charm. Lynn chooses not to follow trends and would rather collect pieces that speak to her. She gathers her treasures from far and wide and like a magpie brings them to her nest in Cape Town. Much of her decor and furniture has been with her for years and moved from home to home. Each piece has its own story to tell.
Lynn’s cottage was certainly not picture perfect when she moved in but she could see its potential. The ceiling was removed to expose the rafters, creating a lovely light-filled space. She also painted the house white, including the floorboards, which gave her a blank canvas to work with. Lynn has surrounded herself with items and art that she loves and has curated a space filled with charm. The subtle Eastern fusion adds an ambiance that is quite unique.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: I see it, I like it and I make it work!
Inspiration: My mother’s sense of style.
Favorite Element: I love all the different textures and colors in my home.
Biggest Challenge: Adding new layers to my already existing style.
What Friends Say: Wow Lynn, you make everything work.
Biggest Embarrassment: We were doing a clear out and selling a few pieces. By mistake, a special painting that was given to me as a gift, got sold!
Biggest Indulgence: A beautiful Limoges vase that I bought in France. I didn’t need it but couldn't resist!
Best Advice: More is more. Add layers and textures and don’t be afraid to mix things up.
Dream Sources: I look for the magic everywhere whether it’s off the beaten track antique shops or a market I might stumble across on a buying trip.
- Sofa & chair in ticking stripe: Biggie Best
- Seashell cushions: bought in Eza, a small village in France
- Brass tray side table: gift from Mrs Lee
- Chinoiserie wingback: Biggie Best
- Painted dresser: Painted by Bevan, one the original owners of Anatoli, a well known Turkish restaurant in Cape Town. Bought from The Ginger Jar
- Dining table: from a small shop in Woodstock
- Metal chairs: The Red Shop
- Three yellow pots: Mr Price Home
- Tortoiseshell glassware: Callaghan
- Two figurines on windowsill: bought from a antique shop in Franschhoek
- Kitchen units and shelving: custom made
- Limoges vase: from a small shop in Eza, France
- Bedspread: hand painted by a local artist
- Hot air balloon chair: The Red Shop
- Standing 'flower' lamp: Mad about the house
- Painting: 40th birthday gift from a dear friend, Jenny
- Painted red wardrobe: Painted by Bevan, one the original owners of Anatoli, a well known Turkish restaurant in Cape Town. Bought from The Ginger Jar
- Large painting on wardrobe: by local artist Hannetjie de Clercq
- Smaller painting on wardrobe: by Hannetjie's daughter
Ornate round mirror: Mexican shop in Cape Town
Antique bamboo pedestal: Bought 7 years ago in terrible condition, transformed with the help of Peter Gordon
- Bedspread: Taliwag
- Side table: Rene Santos
- Table: China works
- Chair: Block & Chisel
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!