How To Style Bookshelves Layer By Layer
Adding that last layer to a room means arranging and styling surfaces like windowsills, tabletops, and especially empty bookshelves. You can leave these to the last minute, as they are the finishing touches rather than the backbone of your design. Here’s how we tackled Ashley’s bookshelves during the makeover:
Follow Topics for more like this
Follow for more stories like this
Before you get started, gather lots of things in a variety of finishes, shapes, textures, and colors. You’ll want them on hand to futz around with, try things out, and move around. There’s lots of room for flexibility and variation.
We started off with this great Beckett 5-High Shelf from Crate & Barrel. It has five tiers and it’s location across from the mantel balances the room nicely and adds an equal amount of height on the other side of the room.
Personal Items: As we’ve said all along, start with things you love and make sure that keepsakes, travel souvenirs, or personal photos are well-represented.
Books: Books are like a building block of shelving. First, you’re putting books….on a bookshelf. Duh. But beyond that, they are incredibly useful as a styling tool. They add color and pattern. You can place them vertically as a group, or use them to vary heights on the shelf, and to prop up other smaller items you’ve got hanging around.
Sculptural Objects: Things like the black wire lamp and metal spiny object have texture and movement that break up all the hard angles of books. Without them the bookshelves would look too linear and staid.
Plants: Ahd then last but not least, cascading plants that spill out of their containers add an especially nice dynamic element to a room. Each one has a different shape and personality. They also add a healthy dose of green.
Extra Credit: The Most Important Decorating Tool You’re Not Using
- Murphy Loveseat Sofa in Burgundy Vance from Room & Board
- Andanza Wallpaper in Blush from Hygge & West
- Mick Mint Floor Lamp from Crate & Barrel
- Collage by St. Louis Artist Alicia LaChance
- STABEKK mirror from IKEA
- Pink Savafieh Rug from Wayfair
- Taza Wool Shag Rug from West Elm
- White Sunpan Modern Rocco End Table from Wayfair
- Acrylic Side Table from Wayfair
- Beckett 5-High Shelf from Crate & Barrel
- Adesso Nelson Arm Floor Lamp from Wayfair
- Noir Bar Cart from Crate & Barrel
- White BLOMSTER Candlesticks from IKEA
- Wooden Accessories from Collin Garrity