Marie-Lyne & Karlo’s Small Montreal Condo
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Marie-Lyne and Karlo
Location: Villeray; Montreal, Canada
Size: 575 square feet
Years lived in: 5 years; owned
We settled in an up-and-coming neighborhood where young families and first-time buyers choose to live for its affordability and convenience. Our condo is near Jean-Talon market and is surrounded by trendy coffee shops, fashionable restaurants and local boutiques. It’s located along bicycle paths that thread throughout the city and Jarry Park is nearby, with its many fields, a lake and the best public pool in the city.
We chose our third floor condo because of its beautiful bones. High ceilings, generous trims and hardwood floors give it a sense of grace and grandeur. Our style is comfy with clean lines. We kept the palette neutral but tried to have the decor provide contrast and depth. The condo has a new kitchen where wood countertops, stainless steel doors, and white cabinets integrate seamlessly with the appliances.
In the back, a large open room serves both as the bedroom and the office space. A large window and door provide constant sunlight. On the opposite end, an overhanging curtain creates a backdrop on the wall and our large DIY work desk made of pipe and wood panels occupies the rest of the area. Wall-mounted bookshelves are used as storage space.
Though it has a fairly small interior footprint, we are happy that the condo has a terrasse at the back and a balcony at the front, providing ample exterior space for us to enjoy.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Our style is modern, comfortable, inviting and casual eclectic.
Inspiration: Scandinavian style, modern century, mix and match, pastel colors.
Favorite Element: The new kitchen. The old one was small, dated and inefficient. We always felt as if we were cooking in a tug boat.
Biggest Challenge: Working without a proper dining room. During summertime, we like to have friends over and eat on the terrasse. Which is great, but when winter comes, we just have to eat in the living room.
What Friends Say: It looks so much bigger than 575 sq feet!
Biggest Embarrassment: The bathroom. It’s so tiny. We have just enough space to stand in the shower and in front of the mirror. Good thing, though, is that we have a bath.
Proudest DIY: The kitchen. It was a total mess for 3 weeks, but what a relief at the end. The kitchen is now functional and spacious.
Biggest Indulgence: The piped work desk and the coffee table. We spent so much time on these DIY projects it was insanity. Designing, building, de-constructing, re-designing, re-building, going back and forth to Home Depot for more plumbing pipes and wood. At the end, both the desk and the coffee table look amazing.
Best Advice: Invest time in doing renovations if your house needs it. It’s always good to get your hands dirty. You will recuperate the honors at the end, it will cost less than hiring someone, and you’ll be proud of yourself.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Light blue
- “Mint” green
- Small vintage mirror, Jupon Pressé
- Shoe Storage, Ikea
- Frame, Flea market
- Hooks, Zone
- Couch, Ikea
- Mid-century console, Showroom
- Coffee table, DIY-ed
- Table lamps, Flea market St-Michel
- Mid-century chair, Showroom
- Bookshelf, Ikea
- Throw pillows on couch, West Elm
- Frames, Omer Deserres
- Lush print, Kid Icarus
- Accessories, gifts, bookstores, vintage and found
- Cabinetry, doors and countertop, Ikea
- Frame, vintage
- Kitchen utensils and accessories, Les Touilleurs and Ikea
- Cutting boards, gift
- Dishware, gift
- Bedding duvet and throw, West Elm
- Bedside Lamps and shades, Urban Outfitters, Target, Ikea and vintage
- Shelving, Ikea
- Desk chair, street found
- Frame, Omer Deserres
- Jewellery box, Flea market
- Mirror, Pei Mobilier Moderne 20e Siècle
- Clothes rack, Ikea
- Drawer, Ikea
- Filing cabinet, Oburo
- Dreamcatcher, Western Spirit NYC
- Roc, travel found
- Shelving, Ikea
- Chair, Showroom
- Throw pillow, Urban Outfitters
- Desk, DIY-ed
- Desk lamp, Ikea
- Desk chairs, street found
- Filing cabinet, Oburo
- Typewriter, Flea market
- Art work, sculpture class
- Side table, Salvation Army
- Frames, Flea market
Thanks, Marie-Lyne and Karlo!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!