Top Destinations of 2016: Where to Go & Where to Stay
Getting your summer travel plans in order? Us, too. So, we checked in with the experts at Booking.com for their list of this year’s most popular destinations (culled from the top places their customers are visiting). Then, we surfed their listings for the most beautiful homes and apartments to rent for a weekend or a week. At the top of the list: U.S. beach towns, Asian cities alive with culture and European capitals steeped in history. And we had to throw in some modernism from Milan!
Gorgeous European & Russian Rentals
The top destinations in Europe? Design-minded Milan, where there are hundreds of luxe apartments to book for a weekend; Warsaw, a hub for creatives that’s cool but still cheap; and Prague, the birthplace of bohemian style. Moscow remains the political and cultural capital of the Russian Federation, but St. Petersburg offers unmatched romance and grandeur.
- Milan: Rent an open, airy apartment at Le Suite di Palazzo Segreti.
- Warsaw: Go local at a Sunny Flat in the City Center.
- Prague: Live the bohemian dream at Opletalova Apartments.
- Moscow: Stay close to culture at the Apartment na Belorusskoy.
- St. Petersburg: Enjoy gorgeous views at the City of Bridges Apartments.
Lively Asian & Australian Vacation Spots
In Asia, Tokyo is a hot ticket for its unique combination of ancient shrines and modern street style; Kuala Lumpur is a must for foodies; Bangkok is a 24/7 center of never-ending energy; and Hong Kong is a dense urban jungle of shopping, food and fun. If you’re looking for something a little more laid-back, head to Australia and spend a week surfing, beachcombing and eating avocado toast in Sydney.
- Tokyo: Enjoy simple Japanese living at the Yui Asakusa Apartment.
- Kuala Lumpur: Take it easy and breezy at TTDI HomeStay.
- Bangkok: Live the luxe villa life in Thailand at House of Grey.
- Hong Kong: Book a modern full-service apartment at CHI Residences.
- Sydney: Drop into the rhythms of beach life at The Annexe House.
Beautiful U.S. Coastal Cottages
In America, family vacation destinations top the list. Myrtle Beach is the jewel in a 60-mile string of beaches along the South Carolina coast; Disney World makes Orlando a classic summer vacation destination; on the California Coast, opt for Disneyland in Anaheim. No kids? Get your sun-and-sea fix in Miami Beach or Miami.
- Myrtle Beach: North Beach Plantation Cottages = South Carolina style.
- Orlando: Fit the whole family in the Indian Creek Holiday Home.
- Anaheim: Modern style meets Mickey at the Enchanted Disney House.
- Miami Beach: Keep it clean and cool at the Townhouses at Park Haven.
- Miami: Take a dip in the beautiful pool at Villa Melrose.
Whether you’re going to Milan or Miami, find the best deals at Booking.com.
Thank you for supporting the brands that make Apartment Therapy possible.