Aimee, Rene and Max’s Sweet and Sophisticated Family Home
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Aimee, Rene and Max
Location: Park Slope; Brooklyn, New York
Size: 1100 square feet
Years lived in: 1.5 years; Rented
Aimee and her husband, Rene, recently readjusted their Park Slope home to accommodate baby Max, the newest addition to the family. Rene’s a chef and Aimee works as an Account Analyst in Apparel Production, so putting together a beautiful, warm home with plenty of style came naturally to this creative couple.
With an eclectic and warm style, their home also feels very light and airy, with carefully edited furniture, high ceilings and plenty of natural light.
To transform their dining room into a nursery, Aimee and Rene painted, added sweet decor and created a bright and fun place for Max to grow up in. The room feels very lovingly done, from the colorful pouf to the mobile above the crib and the DIY pillows on the couch bearing their child’s name. This young couple has managed to transition into parenthood while maintaining spaciousness, style and sophistication.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Eclectic vintage chic.
Inspiration: Sophisticated yet livable.
Favorite Element: My Great Aunt’s vintage pieces, circa 1920-1940.
Biggest Challenge: Putting down new flooring.
What Friends Say: They all love the style and feel cozy.
Biggest Embarrassment: The bathroom tile floor is dated and cracked… but it adds character.
Proudest DIY: The checkerboard floors and dining room table.
Biggest Indulgence: Our sofa…purchased for $100.00; fabric costs 150.00; reupholstered for 750.00= $1000.00.
Best Advice: Decorate with things that you love — they don’t have to match!
Dream Sources: Elle Decor; Dwell; Apt Therapy; IKEA; West Elm; Anthropologie Home; Home Goods; Housing Works Thrift Shop; Angels Thrift Shop; Time Galleries
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Benjamin Moore- Concrete
- Martha Stewart- Iceberg
- Benjamin Moore- Cream in my coffee
- Wallpaper- Designyourwall.com
- Singer sewing table/machine- My Great Aunt Gerties
- Distressed mirror- Home Goods
- Vintage frame- collection of old broken pictures
- Vintage photos- My ancestors
- Sofa- 100$ purchase from Craigslist /reupholstered
- Trunk coffee table- family heirloom
- Large painting- Gustav Klimt for IKEA
- Antique chair- Angel Thrift Shop/ reupholstered
- Cowhide rug- IKEA
- DIY Shelving- handmade by my husband
- Butcher block table- IKEA
- Checkerboard floor- Lowes vinyl tiles
- Headboard- purchased for 100$ at thrift shop/ painted black
- Dresser- My Great Aunt Gerties
- High Boy- My Great Aunt Gerties
- Bench- Gothic Cabinet/ DIY distressed
- Antique Mirror- repainted black
- Sofa bed- IKEA
- Pillows- DIY hand painted
- Crib- Babyletto Hudson Crib
- Dressers- IKEA
- Rocking chair- my sister’s circa 1979
- Photos- Urban Outfitters
- Mobile- DIY
- Rug- Urban Outfitters
- Ottoman- Plow and Hearth
Thanks, Aimee, Rene and Max!
(Images: Liana Walker)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.