Oh Look, Another UK Home With a Deliciously Dark and Dramatic Color Palette
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Faith Mitchell and my partner
Location: Newcastle, UK
Type of home: House — Semi
Size: 3000 square feet
Years lived in: 1 year, owned
Tell us a little (or a lot) about your home and the people who live there: We bought our home last year as our second renovation project. We wanted to move closer to family and our only option was a house that required work. We tried to do all of the work ourselves, including digging drainage and putting steel beams in over Christmas (we’re not in a hurry to do that again!). The renovation has been tedious at times, but we’re so pleased our design vision for the house is coming together.
Describe your home’s style in 5 words or less: Simple, dark, and moody
What is your favorite room and why? The living room. It’s dark, moody, and comforting, I love it at any time of year but especially when the dark nights come around. We light the fire and just cozy up.
What’s the last thing you bought (or found!) for your home? Hydrangeas, found in our garden! I’ve cut loads to dry over the winter; I love the texture of them and adore the way their colors change as the season develops.
Any advice for creating a home you love? Do what you think. Not everyone is going to like it, but the main thing is that you love it. People thought we were mad for painting our woodwork dark but it adds such an edge and we love it. And just remember, paint is so easy to change!
This submission’s responses have been edited for length and clarity.
Share Your Style: ⇒ House Tour & House Call Submission Form
More great House Tour reads:
- ‘Tiny Miss Dolly On Wheels’ Is the Most Charming Tiny House Ever
- Before & After: A Suburban Tract Home’s DIY Renovation Is Utterly Gorgeous (and Unrecognizable)
- A 550-Square-Foot NYC Rental Is Organized, Colorful, and Decorated for Under $4K
- This 160-Square-Foot Tiny House Made from Natural Materials Could be One of the Most Beautiful Built This Year
- Before & After: This Dated Powder Room Makeover Is Fantastic and Full of Ideas for Renters