Dee & Paul’s Thrill of the (Halloween) Hunt
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Dee and Paul
Location: Northville, Michigan
Size: 2,600 square feet
Years lived in: 6 years; Owned
Follow Topics for more like this
Follow for more stories like this
Dee and Paul live in Northville, a western suburb of Detroit. Their traditional home is open, airy and layered with trinkets. Dee is drawn toward turquoise, sparkles, shiny surfaces, beach imagery, and a mix of old and new. Paul likes mementos from the couple’s travels (especially out west) and vintage clocks (which he restores). Dee enjoys the “thrill of the hunt;” searching antique shops, resale shops, consignment shops, flea markets and estate sales for new trinkets to display around the house, as well as objects for her business.
Dee uses her love of old and new to create altered and re-purposed art which she sells on Etsy. Her workshop is in the basement, but her handmade home décor is always on display throughout the house – at least until it sells.
I had difficulty choosing the final photographs for this house tour. I took over 200 photos at Dee and Paul’s house! Dee has an eye for detail and I wanted to capture (and show off) as many of her clever designs as I could. For her Halloween décor, Dee found old books with “eerie” titles like The Drowning Season, Desecration, and Her Last Death at second-hand stores. Her Etsy creations and other Halloween decorations are thoughtfully styled atop stacks of those seasonally appropriate books.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Casual and comfortable with touches of chic and bling.
Inspiration: Whatever I like.
Favorite Element: The high ceilings, curves, arches, angles and alcoves in the walls.
Biggest Challenge: First, finding a house we both agreed on. We house hunted for three years! Then, painting the 18-foot ceilings and walls.
What Friends Say: They like the eclectic décor and the openness of the house.
Biggest Embarrassment: The basement!
Proudest DIY: The deck. Paul replaced the old deck with maintenance-free Innovations brand vinyl boarding and rails. I insisted on all boards running on the diagonal, which caused a lot of time-consuming measurements and angle cuts.
Biggest Indulgence: The installation of Mohawk Lumber brand pre-finished 3/4-inch thick solid oak 3-inch wide wood plank flooring in the foyer, hallway, kitchen and laundry room.
Best Advice: My tastes change often, so I don’t like to make huge investments in décor items. I try to get traditional pieces of furniture so everything will flow together.
Dream Sources: Flea markets and old shops in Europe – especially in Paris and London.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
ENTRY• Round table: Your Blessings Consignment; Milford, MI • Black piano bench: barn sale; Plymouth, MI • Black chair: Marshalls • Silver frame: given to Dee as inspiration • Gallery of vintage etched mirrors: eBay and local antique shops
• Stained glass lit window: Greenmead Historical Society Flea Market; Livonia, MI (Paul back lit and installed it.)
GREAT ROOM• Filled with treasures found on Dee’s hunts around Metro Detroit, as well as handcrafted items from
• Vintage turquoise/rhinestone wind-up clocks (Dee’s collection): eBay and Etsy
DINING ROOM• Turquoise painting:
• Fleur de lis serving table: Totu’s; West Bloomfield, MI
KITCHEN• Black counter stools: Nest to Nest Consignment; Northville, MI • Large clock:
• Pottery collection: local art fairs, resale shops, consignment shops, garage sales and flea markets
• The bedroom set is the couple’s original, which Dee labels (with a smile) as “vintage modern from the 70s.”
• Bedding and pillows: Marshalls
• Artwork: Your Blessings Consignment; Milford, MI
HALF BATHROOM• Vintage tin shelf: Haven; Plymouth, MI
• Filled with treasures found on Dee’s hunts around Metro Detroit, as well as handcrafted items from her Etsy shop.
DEN• Vintage wind-up clocks (Paul’s collection): eBay and flea markets
• Drop leaf desk: Saline Antique Market; Saline, MI
LOFT/OFFICE• Eames chair: inherited from Paul’s parents • Wall art: finds from Dee and Paul’s travels
• Paul’s trinkets
Thanks, Dee and Paul!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!