Name: Duffy Stone, owner and designer at Studio Duffy + Cat, Gummo
Location: East Austin; Austin, Texas
Years lived in: 1.5 years; Rented
After seeing her House Call from a few months back, I knew this home needed a full tour. Known for her work around town, Duffy Stone has a knack for creating eye-catching environments. Her home was certainly no exception.
Filled with color and intriguing objects, my eyes were drawn to every inch of every room. I'm a huge fan of color, especially Duffy's rich combinations of teals, reds, yellows, blues, and purples. It was music to my eyes! Duffy's use of texture and color only highlighted the intricate beauty in the details of this 1930s home. From the built-in stained glass in the kitchen accented by flowers and fruit, to the rich tones of wood accented by brass and painted walls.
Despite all the color and detail throughout the house, there's a sense of tranquility in the bedroom. The stark white bedding against the earthy drapes and vibrant blue walls are the perfect setting for the natural light coming through long windows. Even the yard brings you into some sort of oasis, filled with trees and cactus and a porch covered in ivy. No shortage of beautiful views in an unbeatable location. This home definitely felt like a dream.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Freestyle.
Favorite Element: The natural light. My cat would second that.
Biggest Challenge: Finding a spot for the unnecessary amount of barstools I have collected.
What Friends Say: Friends and family love the house, it's a great spot to hang out. And I always have frosted beer mugs stocked in the freezer, so that's a big hit.
Biggest Embarrassment: The amount of holes in my walls from constantly moving prints around. I don't even bother to fill them.
Proudest DIY: My blue tape installation. I think it's silly, but it was free art made with some left over tape and it makes me happy.
Biggest Indulgence: I recently purchased a Chuck Close drawing from my favorite Austin based artist, Sara Vanderbeek. It's probably the coolest thing I own.
Best Advice: What would Elvis do?
"Golden Blaze" dining table by Alex Drew and No One
"Church in Coba" photography print by Julie Holder
"California Raisin" sofa by Haas Brothers
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Living room color: "Painted Turtle" by Behr
- Tulip table: Ikea
- Rug: garage sale
- Low black and white stool: Prototype Vintage
- Steel Hook: Doefabco
- Coffee Table: Crate and Barrel
- Black Leather and Wood Indonesian Chair: estate sale
- Sofa: Vintage
- Pouf: West Elm
- Cowboy: roadside find
- Bertoia style barstools: through a friend
- Lamp: Next 2 New
- Brass bookshelf: Goodwill
- 2 Chrome and Canvas stools: Room Service Vintage
- Office Chair: roadside find
- Office steel file cabinets: roadside find
- Golden lucite stool: Next 2 New
- Chuck Close drawing: Sara Vanderbeek artist
- Navy bar cart: City Wide Garage Sale
- Orange Steel Base Stool: West Elm
- Black Latticework piece: Prototype Vintage
- Bed and nightstand: Ikea Mandal series
- Bedding: Wildflower Organics
- White Bedside Lamp: Room Service Vintage
- Hanging Pendant: Roost
- Bolivian Rug: JM Drygoods
- Camper Stool: Salado Antique Mall
- Outdoor white mid-century fiberglass chairs: Craigslist
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!