This Home That Needed an “Awful Lot of Work” Got Stunning DIY Updates
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
When Luke and Hayley Blythe, both dentists, started looking for a new home in 2020, it was because they’d outgrown their previous space since having two children, Alfie and Siena.
Unfortunately, finding a new house was more challenging than initially expected. “We had multiple properties fall through, and we were feeling hopeless about finding our dream home,” Hayley shares.
However, the couple fell in love when a real estate agent showed them a four-bedroom house in Cambridgeshire. It had big rooms, tall ceilings, a lush garden, and a secluded location. Even though the property had a lot of positives, there were some downsides, too.
“It needed an awful lot of work. It was completely outdated, everything was stained from the previous owner’s smoking habit. The carpets were tired and old, faded wallpaper, carpeted bathroom, the list was endless,” Hayley writes. “We knew we had a big challenge ahead of us, but we were excited to get cracking on it!”
Because they’d renovated their previous home on their own, Hayley and Luke were anxious to get started on another DIY project. They each brought something to the table: her, a love of interior design, and him, a willingness to tackle any home project.
Since moving in, they’ve taken on a lot of projects, like renovating their kitchen, living room, laundry room, playroom, bathroom, stairs, and all four bedrooms. “We have spent the last year-and-a-half working on it completely by ourselves, one DIY challenge at a time,” Hayley explains. “I love the bright, airy, calming spaces we have created over time.”
PAINT & COLORS
- Kitchen — Cabinet doors — Frenchic’s “Cool Beans”
- Pantry cupboard — Frenchic’s “Stone Rosy”
- Living room — Wickes’ “Victorian White”
- Kitchen — Wickes’ “Pure Brilliant White”
- Main bedroom — Lick’s “Beige no 3”
- Alfie’s bedroom — Farrow and Ball’s “Wimborne White” and “Lick Beige no2”
- Siena’s bedroom paneling — Farrow and Ball’s “Dead Salmon”
- Sofa — Made.com
- Cabinet — Coxandcox
- Curtains — Hillarys Blinds
- Rug — Zara Home
- Table — The Cotswold Company
- Chairs (spindle back) — La Redoute
- Love seat — Dusk
- Curtains — H&M
- Pantry cabinet — HomeSense
- 4n1 boiling water tap — Abode Home
- Chairs — La Redoute
- Worktop (Paras marble laminate) — Kitchen Worktops Online
- Sink — Reginox sink Wayfair
- Cabinet handles — Ironmongery Direct
- Oven — Smeg
- Both ceiling lights — H&M
- Tiles (Vernisse square gloss ceramic) — B&Q
- Shelves (scaffold board) — Wickes
- Shelf brackets — eBay
- Bed — Dusk
- Cushions — H&M , Hudson home, Zara home
- Chair — B&Q
- Chest of drawers, bedside cabinets — Rowen and Wren
- Table — B&Q
- Stool — H&M
- Basket — Next
- Wall cabinet — John Lewis
Thanks, Luke and Hayley!
This tour’s responses and photos were edited for length/size and clarity.
Share your style: House Tour & House Call Submission Form