Erin’s Layered Oakland Loft
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Erin Kelsey
Location: Oakland, California
Size: 1,500 square feet
Years lived in: 1 year
Follow Topics for more like this
Follow for more stories like this
With a career as a textile designer, you would expect no less than beautiful fabrics and finishes of all sorts—and Erin’s loft does not disappoint. From buttery leather and perfectly worn wood, to an abundance of richly patterned rugs and blankets the loft is a test lab for layered, textured perfection.
*Re-edited from a post originally published in 2014
While the spacious, open floor plan of the lower level is beautiful in its own right, the real attraction is the bedroom. A master class in mixing prints and incorporating texture, it is one worth bookmarking.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: I would probably describe my style as Bohemian-Rustic. I’m a bit of a gypsy at heart and love to collect things from around the world. I grew up in New Mexico and have definitely been influenced by the style of the Southwest.
Inspiration: One of my favorite quotes is, “There’s inspiration everywhere.” I believe this is very true and try to open myself to seeing beauty wherever I am. That said, some of my biggest sources of inspiration come from nature and travel. I love the way I feel in nature and have tried to recreate some of that in my home by using a lot of earthy elements. I’ve been fortunate to have traveled quite a bit and am always inspired by style and art from other cultures. My space is filled with an eclectic mix of treasures that I’ve picked up.
Favorite Element: I would probably have to say that my favorite element is the hay bale benches at the dining table. They bring a casual and unexpected vibe to the space. They’re great for dinner parties. People say they feel like they’re at a barn party… in West Oakland.
Biggest Challenge: Painting 25 ft. high walls!
What Friends Say: Will you decorate my house?
Biggest Embarrassment: The previous owners left mirrored tiles on the ceiling above the bed. I still haven’t figured out how to get them down without ripping the plaster off my ceiling. I always feel like I need to explain this when people come over 🙂
Proudest DIY: Probably the deer antler jewelry hanger I use to display necklaces. It was super simple to make but I love it and feel like it makes a big impact.
Biggest Indulgence: The house itself.
Best Advice: Create a space that feels good and is unique to you. There are no rules for decorating. I would say the same for anything in life really…do what feels good.
Dream Sources: ABC carpet & home, HD Buttercup, Merci, Alameda Flea market, In Bed, Reliquary, Anthropologie home, West Elm, Pottery Barn
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Cracked Pepper-Benjamin Moore
- Rustic consol table- West Elm.
- Printed seagrass round rug- West Elm
- Oversized mirror- Pottery Barn
- Antique Kantha- quilt bench-found/DIY
- Antique bicycle- found/ DIY
- Antique Turkish Kilim rug- gift
- Wine barrel coat rack- Sarah Weldon
- Charles reclaimed wood dining table- Pottery Barn
- Vintage apothecary cabinet- found
- Straw bail benches- Half Moon Bay Feed & Fuel
- Vintage Kantha quilts- Fabric market in India
- Herbs and succulents- East Bay Nursery
- Sweater wool rug- West Elm
- Carlisle sofa- Pottery Barn
- Turned Wood Pedestal Lamp- Pottery Barn
- Oversized consol cabinet- found
- Rustic nailhead coffee table- found
- Wooden puzzle- Anthropologie
- Crystals- Scarlet Sage Herb co
- Vintage horse saddle- found
- Wire birdcage terrarium- Found/DIY
- Vintage arrows- Found
- Deer antlers- Found
- Abstract painting- Personal work/ Erin Kelsey
- Emmerson reclaimed wood bed- West Elm
- Pressed tin boxes- Serena & Lily
- Braided metallic rug- Serena & Lily
- Bello shag wool Rug- West Elm
- Vintage kantha throw & drape- Fabric market in India
- Brocade upholstered chair- found
- Pink Tara portrait- Haight street
- Antique wooden goddess carving- Bali
- Mudra/hand coat hangers- Bali
- Deer antler jewelry hanger- DIY
- Dip dye sheer- DIY
- Vintage marquis light X- found
- Portrait- Argentina street market
- Peace pipe- pow wow/Taos New Mexico
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!