Guilt-Free Cleaning: Is Oxi Clean Environmentally Friendly?

Guilt-Free Cleaning: Is Oxi Clean Environmentally Friendly?

Micki Howl
Oct 24, 2011

I use Oxi Clean for everything and it has never failed me. It's the only way I've been able to clean my white shag rug and it's saved many of my husband's favorite work shirts. I always felt somewhat guilty for using it because I thought that since it worked so well it must be filled with harsh chemicals, fragrances and dyes.

I finally decided to face my guilty cleaning demons and find out what was in my favorite cleaner and was pleasantly surprised with what I discovered. From the Oxi Clean website on their FAQ page:

More than 95% of the ingredients are minerals, or break down into minerals and components that are readily found in our natural environment. OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover breaks down into oxygen and soda ash when mixed with ordinary water and uses the tremendous cleaning power of oxygen to remove stains. There are no toxic fumes.

The two active ingredients are sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate. Both are washing sodas, one that turns into hydrogen peroxide, and completely harmless (no toxic fumes). Now, there are two versions of Oxi Clean, the original formula and the "free" version. Oxi Clean free contains no fragrances or dyes, so they must be in the original formula, and while the FAQ page touts the 95% mineral ingredients, It's not clear what the remaining 5% is made up of.

It doesn't have the remaining ingredients on the Oxi Clean website or on the packaging so if anyone is familiar with what the remaining makeup is, I'd be curious to know!

moving--truck moving--dates moving--dolly moving--house moving--cal Created with Sketch. moving--apt