Halle & Jeff’s East Village Apartment
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Halle and Jeff
Location: East Village, New York, NY
Size: 1,250 square feet
Years lived in: 1
The talented guest photographer for this tour, Emily Johnston, gave us the background scoop on this newly redesigned apartment: “Halle and her husband Jeff recently moved to NYC from San Francisco. They were looking for that rare city home with outdoor space when they found and fell in love with this East Village apartment. After a nine-month renovation gutting and extending the kitchen, adding an office, and creating a second full bath, they can now call this place home.”
As anyone who has undertaken one knows, renovations are always an adventure, and Halle confirms that the oft-shared rule of thumb that, in the end, it will cost twice as much and take twice as long as you planned for, is true. But, in this case, I think we’d all agree that the delightful results justify the long road to this particular design destination. From the very fashion forward boldly patterned tile and black painted cabinets in the kitchen to the curtained floor to ceiling windows in the bedroom, I’d say that this home is a perfect example of well-designed “livable luxe” circa 2015.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Comfortable and surprising
Inspiration: Great NYC boutique hotels like the Jade, Gramercy Park, Nomad, and Crosby Street
Favorite Element: The wide plank, pine floors that are 150+ years old
Biggest Challenge: The wide plank, pine floors which are uneven!
What Friends Say: “Are we really in NYC right now?”
Biggest Embarrassment: We had the opportunity to get custom cabinetry over the dishwasher, but I decided to be cheap. I totally regret that decision and hate the way the dishwasher stands out!
Biggest Indulgence: Mauviel cookware set, especially since I don’t cook
Best Advice: A girlfriend warned me that all renovations come in at double the money and double the time estimated (she was right!)
Dream Sources: ABC Furniture, OLY, and Serena & Lily
Resources of Note:
- Custom cabinets painted Benjamin Moore Mopboard Black
- Custom butcherblock counters
- Ceiling and beams – OC-117 Simply White high gloss
- Cabinet pulls – Anthropologie
- Fridge- Smeg Fab28
- Rohl farmohouse sink
- Faucet by Waterworks
- Tile – Urban Archeology<a href="http://www.urbanarchaeology.com</h4><p>tile_web/pdf/ceramic/V132-11.pdf%E2%80%9D></a>%20</li>%20%0A%20<li>Lights%20%E2%80%93%20Thomas%20O%E2%80%99Brien%20Light%20Pendant</li>%20%0A</ul>%20%0A%20%0A%20<h4><strong>Breakfast%20Nook</strong></h4>%20%0A%20%0A<ul>%20%0A%20<li>Vintage%20table%20from%20Nadeau%20</li>%20%0A%20<li>Eaton%20Banquette%20from%20Arhaus%20</li>%20%0A%20<li>Rattan%20Side%20Chair%20from%20VivaTerra</li>%20%0A</ul>%20%0A%20%0A%20<h4><strong>Living%20Room</strong></h4>%20%0A%20%0A<ul>%20%0A%20<li>Sofa%20%E2%80%93%20Crate%20&%20Barrell%20</li>%20%0A%20<li>Coffee%20Table%20%E2%80%93%20West%20Elm%20</li>%20%0A%20<li>Rug%20%E2%80%93%20Safavieh%20</li>%20%0A%20<li>Chairs%20%E2%80%93%20ABC%20Furniture<a%20href=" http:>
- Lamp- Jonathan Adler
- Art work – Etsy
- Neon Chair – Peg Chair by Tom Dixon
- Bed – cobble hill for ABC
- Side tables – ABC Furniture
- Side table – ghost buster by kartell
- Artwork above fireplace – OneKingsLane
- Stool – Restoration Hardware
Big thanks to Emily and Halle!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!
Re-edited from a tour originally published in 2015 – AB