Emma & Cody’s Light, Bright Renovated Australian Home
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Emma and Cody and their dog, Chuck
Location: Herne Hill — Geelong, Australia
Size: Three-bedroom house
Years lived in: 2.5 years; Owned
As soon as Emma and Cody bought their home in Geelong, they immediately painted the walls white, and tore down the wall between the kitchen and living space, opening it right up. What they were left with was a perfect blank canvas. To it they’ve added a harmonious mix of affordable and signature pieces, placing IKEA and department stores finds next to funky works by independent creators and makers. With an eye for color and texture, Emma has created a calming, airy space to come home to.
Emma is a self-confessed plant-obsessive, which becomes obvious when you realize there are plants in every room of the house. The lush green really adds a freshness to the home. And just to add that little something, Emma bought a whole lot of ceramic pots from her local hardware store and painted them in fun patterns.
In the living room, Chuck the dog blends right in, his warm brown tones complementing the lovely retro stone wall, polished floorboards, and brown leather ottoman. Plants and pops of color brighten up the cozy space.
As you’d expect in a climate like Australia’s, Emma and Cody spend most evenings in the spring and summer months entertaining friends outside on the deck, which acts as another room when the weather is right. Laden with cold beers, cheese, and local wine, the old door they’ve repurposed into a lovely rustic outdoor table is the place to be.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: I like to think of it as eclectic bohemian.
Inspiration: I obsess over everything Amber Lewis.
Favorite Element: The homely feel.
Biggest Challenge: Storing all my cushions (that aren’t on beds)!
What Friends Say: “Ooooh I like that.”
Biggest Embarrassment: The front fence (cringe).
Proudest DIY: Knocking out walls between the kitchen and the living area.
Biggest Indulgence: Plants!!!
Best Advice: Don’t be afraid to be different and have your own style.
Dream Sources: Shoppe by Amber Interiors; Lulu and Georgia.
PAINT & COLORS
- Walls: Dulux Lexicon
- Yellow chevron rug: Oz Design
- Couch: Fantastic Furniture
- Throw on couch: Country Road
- Cushions: Freedom, Mark Tuckey for Cotton On
- Cream ottoman: Kmart
- Brown leather ottoman: Maison & Maison
- Coffee table: made by Emma and Cody
- Cactus print: Studio Cockatoo
- Black and white skull print: Typo
- Books and ornaments on bookshelf: mostly from op shops
- Armchair: vintage
- Side table: Ikea
- Large pots: Bunnings, painted by Emma
- Table: custom-made by a friend
- Chairs: KYO in Ocean Grove
- Plant stand: Wirely Home
- Clock is from Target
- Floating shelves are from Ikea
- Various cook books
- Tea towels from Country Road.
- Desk: Officeworks
- Filing cabinet: Officeworks
- Basket: a gift
- Skull and pink cactus print: Okay Luna
- Frida print: Studio Cockatoo
- Plant hangers: Little Creations by Roxy
- Chair: op shops
- Books: op shops
- Sheepskin: Ikea
- Bed: Ikea
- Doona cover: Freedom
- Comforter: Freedom
- Square cushions: Lunar Concept Store
- Rectangle cushion: Kaya Kilims
- Rug: Freedom
- Throw: Mark Tuckey by Cotton On
- Mirror: Ikea
- Print above bed: Zazzle
- Macramé hanger: Little Creations by Roxy
- Frieda print: Studio Cockatoo
- Concrete stool: Little Creations by Roxy
- Pots: Bunnings
- Chair: Ikea
- Doona cover: Kmart
- Square cushions: Rapee
- Rectangle cushions: Kaya Kilims
- Pot and plant: Bunnings
- Round throw: The Raw Co
- Map canvas: Typo by Cotton On
- Plant stand : Kmart, painted black
- Shadowboxes: Ikea
- Pot: Ikea
- Candle: Love Ludie
- Basket: Ikea
- Macramé hangers: Little Creations by Roxy
- Plant stand: Kmart
- Stools: Kmart
- Table: made by Emma and Cody out of an old door
- Chairs: KYO in Ocean Grove
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!