Anne & Steve’s Relaxed, Eclectic & Casual Home in Cape Town
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Anne and Steve
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Size: 2,152 square feet
Years lived in: 10 years; Owned
Exploring the colorful and eclectic home of Anne and Steve is a real treat. Anne was born in South Africa, her husband, Steve, is British, and they spend their time between the two countries. So when it came to decorating their South African house, Anne knew that she wanted to create a very different look and feel from their UK home.
Anne had help from her daughters, Abi and Sarah, when it came to putting the decor together. Abi is an interior decorator, so she was able to give her parents invaluable help when it came to the finishing touches. The art lies in bringing together existing furniture pieces and art and adding to that, marrying the old with the new, and styling it all together cohesively. Together they did a wonderful job and created a home that has plenty of warmth and character.
The house was originally only one floor, and Anne and Steve decided to add a level to make the most of their wonderful view of Lion’s Head Mountain. The upstairs level is lovely and airy and has more of a contemporary feel, helping to breathe new life into the old Victorian house.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: I [Anne] think our style is quite eclectic but with a relaxed, casual element where friends and family can feel at home.
Inspiration: Africa and our travels around the world. As we have a house in London, I loved sourcing local shops and markets to give this house a totally different feel.
Favorite Element: My husband’s favorite thing is having an outdoor shower on the patio with the view of the mountain. We all enjoy having a sundowner on the deck followed by a cozy meal chatting round the kitchen island.
Biggest Challenge: Making decisions from the UK—but luckily we have our talented daughters in Cape Town to help us.
What Friends Say: Friends love the house with the high ceilings and easy flow, but especially the wow factor of the amazing views from the deck.
Biggest Embarrassment: Having a clothesline stretching over the outdoor table, which isn’t a great sight when an impromptu guest turns up.
Proudest DIY: Disastrous DIY rather! My husband bought a rather ugly retro air con system for our newly decorated spare bedroom during the recent heat wave.
Biggest Indulgence: The biggest indulgence was the decision to go up a floor but the advantages have been immense and we never tire of the magnificent view.
Best Advice: Get your daughter to help you!
Dream Sources: Wauhaus in Woodstock is great for antique finds.
Moroccan Warehouse is my go-to for fabulous tiles and lanterns. Weylandts for a variety of side tables, baskets, and some key outdoor furniture pieces. Cane chairs from my daughters’ company, Malawi Chairs, and eclectic lamps from Katundu.
PAINT & COLORS
- Kitchen: Plascon Plain Black
- Other walls: Plascon Landing
UPSTAIRS LIVING AREA
- Dresser: Mandy’s on Main in Woodstock
- Glass/wood wardrobe: made by a local carpenter
- Round mirror: Weylandts
- Chandelier: Riaan Chambers
- Rug: Weylandts
- Vases on mantelpiece: bought in India
- White chest of drawers: Mandy’s on Main in Woodstock
- Bedside tables: junk shop
- Bedside lamps: lim
- Bench at foot of bed: Coricraft
- Art above bed: bought by Steve in an art shop for Anne
- Wooden fish: side of the road curio
- Cupboard: came with house, repainted black
- Tiles: Moroccan Warehouse
- Bronze candleholder: Weylandts
- Mirror: nap
- Light fitting: came with house
DOWNSTAIRS GUEST BEDROOM
UPSTAIRS GUEST BEDROOM
- Bedside chest of drawers: bought via classified ads
- Turquoise chest: bought via classified ads
- Large carved wooden mirror: Wauhaus
- Turquoise lamps: Soul Design
- Vintage mirror: Milnerton flea market
- Carpet: Weylandts
- White candlesticks: junk shop
- Benches: Mandy’s on Main, Weylandts
- Coffee table: made by local carpenter with tiles from Moroccan Warehouse
- Ashanti chair: Weylandts
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!