Lynn and Adam’s home is a gathering place for people and things. When the second-story apartment isn’t filled with friends, reminders of them are still evident. Artwork from friends is on display in each room. Lynn and Adam have a personal connection to each piece of furniture, every trinket and even the plants. Everything has a story. Over the span of our photo shoot, I lose count of how many times Lynn starts with, “Interesting story about this piece…”
Lynn is an artist and stylist. We met in art school and remain connected via Instagram. After living and working on both coasts of the country, Lynn returned to West Michigan and now resides in St. Joseph, a halfway point on the drive between Grand Rapids and Chicago. In the survey below, she advises people to “make spaces for conversations and experiences.” Whether seated around the dining table or lounging in the living room, Lynn and Adam’s guests have space to converse and there is a lot of style to experience. From a luscious painting of lips to an Eames bench from the Savannah International Airport to pillows from Peru, each object has a story to tell.
(A quick shout-out to Adam, who is not pictured. On the day of the photo shoot, he was on assignment in Savannah, Georgia.)
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Eclectic and familiar—items linked to our friends, family, and travels.
Inspiration: Art, nostalgia, Mid-century, function, cozy, modern, and Savannah, Georgia.
Favorite Element: Natural light.
Biggest Challenge: Editing our stuff. We moved here from a 1,500-square-foot house.
What Friends Say: “It’s so cozy and cute.”
Biggest Embarrassment: We can’t replace the toilet seat. And it’s gross.
Proudest DIY: Two completely restored Eames molded fiberglass armchairs.
Biggest Indulgence: Rugs and fresh flowers.
Best Advice: Make spaces for conversations and experiences.
Dream Sources: Design Within Reach
PAINT & COLORS
- It’s a rental and we’re not allowed to paint.
- Coat hanger: Eames Hang-It-All
- Portuguese tile: a souvenir from Lynn’s parents’ vacation
- Hat: Colombia
- 24e Savannah table: refinished by Adam
- Jade plant: Adam’s grandma
- Eames bench from Savannah International Airport: garage sale
- Eames molded fiberglass armchairs: garage sale, restored
- Eames wire chairs with bikini pads: Craigslist D.C.
- Vintage bar stools: Century Antiques in Grand Rapids, MI
- Bowl of glass doorknobs from New Orleans: a gift from Lynn’s best friend
- Pink bust: by their friend Michael Porten
- Lips painting: by their friend Liz Winnel
- Baby statue: by their friend Marcus Kenney
- Northern sky illustration: by their friend Jeff Hopkins
- Geometric painting: by their friend Will Penny
- Circle painting: by their friend Kalee Fix
- Toilet paper photograph: by their friend David Welch
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!