Location: Hochelaga-Maisonneuve; Montreal, Canada
Size: 750 square feet
Years lived in: 3 years; Owned
When I first entered Danielle's condo, I immediately noticed the calm and peaceful ambiance. Maybe the cooled air inside had something to do with it, on a can't stand the heat and humidity sort of day! But regardless of temperature, Danielle's place is seriously awesome.
Although the condo is a garden level unit, it remains lit all day by the large windows. Spacious, up-to-date, simple, and filled with original pieces, the home was decorated by Danielle in her signature style: a mix of modern and vintage, with a combination of designer goods and used furnishings she refurbished herself.
The neutral-colored space is industrial; the 1908 factory where Danielle lives having been turned into condos five years ago. With heated concrete floors throughout (so lucky!) and original wood beams, the space is full of character.
Danielle says, "Always stay true to yourself. Try to transform dated pieces into brand-new functional and original ones. It's fun!"
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Modern vintage
Inspiration: A mix of various sources, from New York City lofts to Scandinavian design ideas.
Favorite Element: The heated concrete floor throughout and the original wood beams.
Biggest Challenge: Making all of my stuff fit in the space.
What Friends Say: It is so you!
Biggest Embarrassment: I really don’t like the bathroom sink — it's too big for the tiny space it is in. (We didn't take any photos of the bathroom due to its size.)
Proudest DIY: My open wardrobe made of pipes! I made it with my dad.
Biggest Indulgence: Not much indulgence yet but the biggest one that I plan to do in a few months is my kitchen backsplash and countertops.
Best Advice: Get inspired by all sorts of sources but always stay true to yourself. Also, try to recycle and exchange pieces that are dated and used. Work on some DIY projects! It's okay to buy new stuff but I think re-using is important.
PAINT & COLORS
- All walls: Sico White in Eggshell
- Mask: brought back from Congo
- Small white metal lamp : $2 garage sale find!
- Vintage leather and wood love seat: SHOWROOM mtl
- '50s dresser: bought at auction by my dad — he ended up giving it to me.
- Locker: IKEA
- Shelving system: Rona
- Mason jar lamps: DIY
- Sofa: IKEA Nockeby in Tenö light gray
- Mick Jagger art: a reproduction from a friend
- Aztec pouf: HomeSense
- Leather Moroccan pouf: a gift from my mom
- Vintage wood desk: my friend got it on Amherst street in Montreal — I was lucky to have it later on!
- Yellow dresser: a friend gave it to me and I repainted it a bright yellow; the handles are from Anthropologie.
- Cushion made of old carpet: Brooklyn Flea Market in NY
- Yellow and black cushion: local artisan from Chile
- Cushion with beach imagery: La Maison Simons
- Glass plant pendant: Evasia on Ontario Street in Hochelaga
DINING ROOM & KITCHEN
- Extendable dining table: IKEA Bjursta
- Eames replica chairs: Barami (sadly closed)
- Oven: Kenmore from Sears
- Fridge: Kenmore from Sears
- Gold pendant lamp: found at ARTÉ, a huge warehouse of a store that specializes in re-using and reselling old items/furniture
- Wardrobe pipes system: DIY
- Curtains: IKEA
- Art: quick DIY by my friend
- Nightstands: Montreal Moderne
- Old dresser: a friend gave it to me and I repainted it light pink.
- Oval mirror: garage sale!
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!