Name: Monique, Stu, and their daughters, Lulu and Petula
Location: Eltham; Melbourne, Victoria
Size: 200 square metres (2,153 square feet)
Years lived in: 6.5 years; Owned
Monique and Stu's home is cute, colorful, and inviting. Located in a leafy outer suburb of Melbourne, it is a perfect place to bring up their two young daughters. Having spent much of their twenties and thirties renting in the inner city - both being involved in the local Melbourne music scene- they now own a spacious home that reflects their love of music, design, Mexico, and vintage style.
Stu works as a graphic designer and plays guitar in numerous bands, while Monique cares for the girls, works as a freelance florist, and sings and plays guitar in The Mockingbird. Before having children, the couple travelled to the USA and Mexico and fell in love with Mexican color and folk art, and they filled their bags with as many mementos as they could carry. Over the years, Monique and Stu have collected vintage pieces and artwork which now decorate their home, especially the nursery.
They are slowly renovating their home, having recently added the back deck, yellow entry wall, extra bedroom, and laundry off the kitchen. Also, a good friend just finished landscaping their yard. The bathroom is next on their agenda.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Eclectic with its heart in vintage, bright colors, and rock'n'roll.
Inspiration: The 3 Ms: Music, Mid-century, and Mexico.
Favorite Element: Letting seemingly mis-matched items hang together.
Biggest Challenge: Finding room for the multitude of things we've collected and artwork we need to hang.
What Friends Say: Our house is warm, inviting, and fun, also there are certain things that only we could get away with.
Biggest Embarrassment: The bathroom, the only space not yet touched in 6 years and the one that needs the most attention.
Proudest DIY: New back entrance floor - expensive green and white '50s style vinyl tiles found super cheap on Gumtree (similar to Craigslist).
Biggest Indulgence: Gary Taxali print in the entrance hall (Stu's 40th birthday present).
Best Advice: If you find stuff you like, fill every nook you have with it.
Dream Sources: We find stuff everywhere, from Gumtree to Guadalajara.
PAINT & COLORS
- Exterior : Dulux Gold Rush
- Interior : Dulux Natural White
- Large framed artwork: by Gary Taxali
- Vintage sideboard: Atomic House Vintage
- Graphic stacking blocks: by Fred
- Vintage lamp and ornaments: collected over time from op-shops, eBay, and Gumtree
- Souvenir pennants: bought at a friend's garage sale
- Mexican folk art, ceramics, and trinkets: from Mexico
- Cockatoo print: by Peter Cromer
- Red Fang tour print: designed by Mark Van De Beek
- Retro kitchen cabinet: a gift from friends
- Vinyl floor tiles: found on Gumtree, find similar by Amtico
- Black Acapulco chair: from Amor y Locura
- The Chinese Lady print: by Vladimir Tretchikoff
- Rug: from eBay
- Hello Sailor cushion: from Target
- Cushions on couch: made by Monique
- World globe cushion: from Third Drawer Down
- Gus McLaren sculptures: from Outre Gallery
- Wire basket: from Down to the Woods
KITCHEN AND DINING
- Vintage kitchen cabinet: restored by Monique and Stu
- Donkey cookie jar: vintage
- Owl cookie jar: Made590
- APE fez-wearing monkey cookie jar: from Outre Gallery
- Neon photograph print: by Natalie Jeffcott
- Art Deco table: family heirloom
- Eames Eiffel chairs: Herman Miller
- Cockatoo lamp: by Heico found at The Woods Folk
- Bedside table: vintage
- Vintage headboard: made from a door from Monique's grandmother's home
- Colorful mobile: made by Monique
- Bird artwork: by Anke Weckmann
- Faceted head print: Friends with You
- Framed Santa Worm print: Mark Ryden
- Toy shelf gocco print: Lab Partners
- Vintage yellow Planet Lamp
- Wild West Sweethearts guitar: by Gretsch
- Mexican folk art and tin heart decorations: bought on travels
- Vintage deers and ornaments: collected over time from vintage markets, garage sales, and eBay.
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!