How To Make a Fruit Fly Trap To Get Rid of Fruit Flies
We’ve all experienced it at one point: fruit flies, first a few then an infestation surrounding your fruit bowl. They’re pesky little critters, but we’ve found the best way to rid your kitchen of them. Here are our quick instructions for making a fruit fly trap with just a few simple materials.
What You Need
- Vinegar, fruit or wine (apple cider vinegar works especially well)
- Glass or jar
- Sheet of paper
- Find a suitable glass or jar. Most standard sizes will work, just avoid using one that’s too short or wide-mouthed so you don’t have any issues positioning the funnel.
- Roll the sheet of paper into a cone or funnel, leaving a half-inch opening at the bottom.
- Check to be sure the funnel fits snugly in your jar, making sure there are no gaps along the rim of the glass (you don’t want the flies escaping!), leave an inch or two of space between the bottom of the funnel and the glass. Secure the paper with a piece of tape.
- Remove the funnel and add a small amount of vinegar (or apple cider vinegar, or piece of fruit) into the glass.
- Replace the funnel and wait for the flies. They will be attracted to the contents, fly into the cone, and meet their timely end.
More great tips and tutorials: Cleaning Basics
Edited from an original post by Emily Ho published on February 11, 2010
- How To Clean Silver With Aluminum Foil & Baking Soda
- How To Green Clean Moldy Shoes
- How To Spot Clean Old or Set-In Upholstery Stains
- How To Make All-Natural Ant Killer
- How To Clean and Season an Old, Rusty Cast Iron Skillet
- How to Clean and Disinfect Your Laptop’s Keyboard