No fireplace? No problem. Hang your stockings under a modernist "mantel." It takes 10 minutes to make, and it's a great way to step up your style this holiday season. (We checked with Santa, and he confirms this won't impact his deliveries.) Our toolkit: Command™ Picture Ledges and Hooks. They're easy to hang and even easier to take down when the holidays are over (although we think we'll keep the ledges a little while longer).
Our Modern Mantel Decorations
One of the benefits of this "mantel" is that it can go wherever you want: in an entryway, in the living room, or even in a bedroom. Get creative with decorations! Just make sure they're within the weights specified on the packages. We used...
- A Custom Wreath from Etsy Shop RedSketchDecor: Made from white PVC pipe, this wreath is a lot of fun. It weighs less than 7.5 pounds, so it's easy to hang.
- Grosgrain Ribbon: Just a little bit of black ribbon ties into the color scheme and helps to hang the wreath.
- Metallic Ball Ornaments: We chose a few different sizes in a classic brass finish, tucking them into the wreath and picture ledges for subtle shine.
- Family Photos, Holiday Cards, and Cut Paper Snowflakes: We gave a couple of our mementos a little more meaning by framing them and displaying them on the two picture ledges.
- Stockings: We picked a simple, modern hook style that holds up to 3 pounds of stocking stuffers.
Our Command™ Brand Toolkit
Hang your stockings (and holiday cards) with care using just a few supplies. All these items have no need for nails, won't damage your walls, hold strong and come off cleanly whenever you want to take your decorations down.
- 2 Command™ Slate Picture Ledges: These can hold up to 5 pounds of weight, so they're great for photos and decorations.
- 1 Command™ Slate Jumbo Hook: These come in a bunch of different styles and can hold up to 7.5 pounds of weight.
- 2 Command™ Oil-Rubbed Bronze Forever Hooks: These come in small (hangs up to 1 pound), medium (hangs up to 3 pounds) and large (hangs up to five pounds).
How to Hang It All
Here are a few helpful tips for hanging the Command™ Picture Ledges. (You can also check this post for tips for correctly hanging and removing Command™ Hooks.)
- Clean and prep your wall with rubbing alcohol, not household cleaners.
- Each Command™ Picture Ledge comes with 10 strips. To hang, just apply the strips along the mounting ledge.
- Before you press the adhesive strips and mounting ledge to the wall, use a leveler to make sure it's straight.
- After securing the adhesive strips to the wall, wait 1 hour before mounting your ledge. This ensures that the adhesive has time to set.
- When you're ready to remove your ledges, slowly pull the adhesive tab straight down (at least 12 inches below) while keeping your hand against the wall. The stretch-release adhesive strip will come off totally clean!
(NOTE: If your project requires other Command™ Brand products, make sure to check the package instructions for weight and step-by-step installation tips!)
Now, go and make your mantel, and share your projects with other fireplace-less readers!
This post is sponsored by Command™ Brand.
Thank you for supporting the brands that make Apartment Therapy possible.