How To Mount Hardware in Tile
The trick is to use a MASONRY bit when drilling the holes. These sharp tipped drill bits have a way of piercing the shiny surface of tile and slowly creating a smooth hole.
What You Need
masonry drill bit
1. Prepare your tile wall by cleaning it and removing any dust and dirt.
2. Locate where the hardware needs to be mounted. Be certain to measure and if there are multiple mounts, that they will be level.
3. Apply two layers of masking tape over the tile where the drill bit will be used. These tape layers hold the drill bit steady while it tries to start a hole. Without the masking tape, the drill bit will just skate all over the place.
4. Slowly and carefully use your masonry drill bit to drill your hole in the tile. Be careful not to push too hard on the tile, particularly if it’s a large one, because it can crack and split.
5. Once you’ve made the necessary holes, simply insert your plastic anchor into the hole, mount your hardware and screw to tightness.
Want more smart tutorials for getting things done around the home?
We’re looking for great examples of your own household intelligence too!
Submit your own Home Hacks tutorial or idea here!
Originally published 10.2.2006 – AA