A Model Apartment: Jay Michael’s Lincoln Square Style
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Jay Michael
Location: Lincoln Square — Chicago, Illinois
Size: Approximately 300 square feet (this particular model)
Jay Michael and his construction manager (and long time friend) Diana Tokat led me on a recent tour of this small yet mighty Lincoln Square model apartment in one of Jay’s converted rental properties. The idea is simple: show prospective renters how beautifully and efficiently one can live in a small, rented space. This studs-up renovation showcases a model unit that Jay hopes sets the standard for all of his properties and their possibilities.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Style: Traditionally Modern
Inspiration: My homes
Favorite Element: Local artwork and a textured accent wall
Biggest Challenge: Bringing a level of stylish sophistication to the apartment that people from all walks of life would respond to as HOME.
Best Advice: Follow your true sense of style regardless of your market…just translate to a language, if you will, that your consumer understands.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
• Curtains, lamp, furniture, art, accessories: West Elm, IKEA, and personal (Jay’s)
• Grass cloth wall covering: Skokie vendor
• Cabinets: Studio 41, Home Depot
• Granite: Stone Edge
• Appliances: Frigidaire from Abt
• Tile: Daltile
• Furniture: various floor samples
• Accessories: TJ Maxx, West Elm, and personal (Jay’s)
• Tile: Daltile
• Fixtures: Home Depot
• Ceramic fish: West Elm
• Chairs and wood floor tiles: IKEA
• Table: West Elm
• Plants: Home Depot
Images: Heather Blaha
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.