An Artist’s Australian Home Shows How to Blend Color and Pattern Like a Pro
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Maria Flores and family
Location: Bayside, Melbourne, Australia
Years lived in: 6 years
Melbourne-based artist Maria Flores’s home in Melbourne is much like her SAY HOLA art creations; playful, bright, and fun. She’s shared this colorful house for six years with her husband, two daughters, and cute dog, Chico, but it’s not just where she lives. Maria creates her energetic, cheerful works from her light-filled home studio, using paper cutting, screen printing, painting, or illustrating to craft her vibrant artworks. This work can be found throughout their home, alongside equally beautiful artwork by close friends.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Color-bomb transitional. I don’t think I can pinpoint one style!
Favorite Element: The light that filters through the house; it bounces in the right places at the right times, keeping it warm. I strategically place different materials that catch the sunset rays and spread it around the house so that it lasts longer.
Biggest Challenge: The biggest challenge is keeping the girls’ rooms in theme but using their touch and their own style.
What Friends Say: Friends always love walking through the door. I think they’re somewhat expecting the color infusion. I know they leave feeling happy and hopefully inspired.
Proudest DIY: Our DIY swings in the backyard. We wanted to create a little playground for our children and their friends to enjoy without taking away from the aesthetics of our home.
Best Advice: Keep plants in your home, they help me relax. I love looking after them and getting new ones that I find a sweet spot for.
- The large scale rug that ties all the space together. It’s black and white goodness that embraces the space and calms all the color pops, from Bayliss. It also links the artwork I gifted my husband for our 10 year anniversary. I created this piece “Give a Love” to tell a story of love, exactly what a home needs.
- 10 seater dining table from Coco Republic. This table has seen many wonderful family meals, friends dinner parties, and lots of late night painting sessions.
- In the center is an original piece by Maurice Golotta. The color, image, and form demand attention and pay homage to my husband’s heritage of Italy.
- I have plans for this kitchen. I haven’t tackled the fit out yet, but I’ve found some amazing light fittings from lights lights lights that I can’t wait to light up our meal prepping; they remind me of the Memphis Milano style.
- We will soon install a café-style bifold window that opens up to the outside courtyard.
- Our room is our warm and comfy retreat. Where our styles collide. Simple tones and materials for him and lots of textures for me.
COURTYARD AND GARDEN
- We love spending time outside hanging out with the kids and enjoying the sun. We have a mural on our back wall that celebrates our family. At the moment, we have artwork painted by Emma Morgan; it’s so fierce!
Thanks Maria and family!