A Vintage Dealer’s Seattle Home Is a Quirky, Mid-Century, Desert-Inspired Live and Work Loft
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Taylor (me) Remi, Phoebe + Talulah (my 3 cats) “The Gals”
Location: Pioneer Square — Seattle Washington
Size: 2400 square feet
Years Lived In: 1 year, renting
I am an interior designer and vintage dealer living in the historic arts district of Seattle. I chose moving from Belltown to Pioneer Square because of this space, and it is where I feel most creative and inspired. I remember walking past the building I live in eight years ago when I moved to Seattle, and always wondering what was upstairs because I felt it was something magical. Fast forward seven years later, I now call this magical place my home. It was built in the late 1880s and is the last standing building from Seattle’s original Chinatown before Pioneer Square expanded.
This is a live/work space for me. I restore furniture in my free time, collect vintage wares and desert-inspired pottery, dishware, and art to sell in my shop up the street. Plants and greenery are something that I value and I feel you can have a lot of–and have less of the other items that create clutter.
Hosting is the name of my game–themed parties, dinner parties, creative gatherings, you name it. When I found this space I knew it would be perfect for all of my ideas, and I have put a lot of love and my own unique aesthetic into the build. My home has gone through a full renovation to get it where it is today, formerly an artist space that was used as a work space and is now a home. I’d consider it a quirky, mid-century, desert-inspired mini museum of me, and that’s just how I love it.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Desert-inspired mid-century modern
Inspiration: My inspiration comes mostly from Southern California / The Southwest. My second favorite place in the US is the desert. I feel it’s earthy and design worthy. Warm tones, greenery, and a neutral palette with a pop of color is what I love most.
Favorite Element: The industrial sliding door in the hallway is one of my favorites, it truly shows the building’s old age and original character. Aside from that the main living space–it’s surrounded by brick and nine-foot windows. Need I say more; it is easily my most loved room in the loft!
Biggest Challenge: Moving from a 700-square-foot apartment in Belltown to this 2400-square-foot space meant I needed to start collecting more vintage furniture to fill it with. It’s also got a very industrial vibe–so tying in my love for mid-century modern was tough at first, but I made it work.
Proudest DIY: The kitchen and bathroom–I spent an entire week or more sanding and painting the kitchen cabinetry, redoing the tile, and changing out the hardware.
The bath was the same situation, painting, restoring and adding life to the vanity that was once non-existent, changing the lighting, replacing the hardware to make it all the same color and cohesive, adding a super rad vintage mirror from the 1930s deco era, and redoing the flooring was another proud DIY moment.
Biggest Indulgence: My sofa–I spent my summer savings on this orange gem over a year ago and had it custom made to my liking. It’s THE best sofa, and made locally on the West Coast.
Best Advice: It’s never bad to mix old with new. If you see something you think is odd, or quirky, GET IT. It’s unique and someone out there will freak out about how cool it is one day. Always follow your own inspired mind, and never use Pinterest.
What’s your best home secret? It is never bad to thrift. Almost everything in my home is from a vintage or thrift store. I am a firm believer in recycling, reusing and giving something new life.
PAINT & COLORS
- Main Wall Color — Clark Kensington – Designer White
- Kitchen Cabinetry — Clark Kensington – Midnight Stroll
- Bedroom Accent Wall — Clark Kensington – Black Chiffon
- Mirror — Infinity Mirror CB2
- Chloe Sofa — Modern Design Sofas
- Coffee Table — Vintage
- Faux Shearling Pillows – Brown — West Elm
- Mid-Century Side Table — Vintage
- 60s Teak Radio — Vintage
- Canvas Leather Slope Chair — Vintage
- Cowhide Rug — CB2
- Japanese Mod Table Lamp — Target
- Victorian Painting Above Sofa — Vintage
- Fur Throw — CB2
- Cactus Wall Art — World Market
- Paulson Dining Table — West Elm
- Dining Chairs — Poly & Bark
- Pendant Light — Vintage
- Chair Along Brick — Vintage
- Vintage 50s Sewing Chair — Etsy
- Plants, Pottery, etc — Vintage pottery + baskets, plants are from everywhere!
- Mid Century Hairpin Desk — Handmade DIY
- Fur Throw on desk chair — Pike Place Market
- Crosley Radio + Vinyl Player — Local
- La Trappistine Art — Vintage
- Black Mod Plant Stand — Thrift Find
- Tulip Table — Vintage
- Mid Century Dining Chairs — Vintage
- Nude Canisters — World Market
- Kitchen Rug — Target
- Bench — Vintage
- Brass Floor Lamp — CB2
- Cemetery + Ruins Wall Art — Vintage
- Marcel Breuer Chair — Vintage
- Rolling Clothing Racks — Target
- Shoe Rack — Vintage
- Mid Century Dresser — Vintage
- Brass Rounded Mirror — Target
- Wood + Hairpin Wall Shelves — Urban Outfitters
- Black Stool — West Elm
- Wood Tray — Vintage
- Flush Mount Vanity Light — Shades Of Light
- Vintage Vanity Mirror — Space Oddity Vintage