Natalie & Seth’s Organic Modern Home
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Seth and Natalie Brookshire
Location: Presidio Heights; San Francisco, California
Size: 2,700 square feet
Years lived in: Seth for 10 years, Natalie for 3.5; Owned
Walking up to this residence you’ll be greeted by Seth, an architect, and Natalie, a floral designer. The modern, light filled space you step into feels like a hidden treasure, and for good reason. The place was designed from the ground up by Seth, and every detail was carefully considered, with flawless results.
Seth’s design is filled with clean lines and has a great sense of flow. In contrast to his modern aesthetic is Natalie’s soft, organic touch. The combination is what makes this residence hit the sweet spot of design, a perfect balance of their two sensibilities.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Seth is clean, modern, precise and particular. Natalie is more organic and earthy and still appreciates clean lines. We are an architect and a floral designer, after all.
Inspiration: The original character of the house. Seth is a firm believer in working with the original feeling of the house and not trying to make it something it is not.
Favorite Element: Seth says: The two story stair/entry cabinet. Natalie says: The courtyard that allows green space to be enjoyed from every room
Biggest Challenge: Giving new life to a modern home that had seen too many painful remodels.
What Friends Say: This is the perfect party house! Even with a kitchen that isn’t particularly large, our chef friends always compliment us on how well it works. Oh, and how do you open the fridge?
Biggest Embarrassment: No one can open the fridge.
Proudest DIY: The house. Seth is the architect.
Biggest Indulgence: Seth says: Custom built-in cabinetry throughout the entire home. Natalie says: having a garage/parking space. I lived in Hayes Valley before I lived with Seth, and every time I click the garage door opener I smile.
Best Advice: Find a great property and a great architect and the rest will come together. Also, don’t be afraid to mix high and low end pieces. Buy the nicest piece you can afford, and buy IKEA. It all looks great when purchased with thought and intention.
Dream Sources: Some of the best craftsman in the area.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
• Benjamin Moore 2037-70
• Benjamin Moore 2037-60
• Benjamin Moore 2037-40
• Herman Miller Nelson Bench
• All built-in cabinetry (except kitchen) custom fabricated by Rolf Melander
• B&B Italia
• Herman Miller Eames Executive Lounge in custom Knoll textile
• Boston Piano Company
• It’s all vintage baby
• Maharam textile wall coverings
• Leucos Lighting
• Miele cooktop, oven, dishwasher
• Sub-Zero 700 series fully integrated refrigerator and freezer
• All Wood Cabinet Company from San Rafael
• Bedside tables are Ikea
• Bedside lamps are crate and barrel
• Bedding is Restoration Hardware and pillows are Dwell Modern
Thanks, Natalie and Seth!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!