45 “One Minute Rule” Cleaning Habits You Should Always Do Right Away
Some giant messes happen in a matter of minutes, like the explosion that can happen when you’re packing for a trip or when you cook and eat a big breakfast in a rush. But many household messes that transpire (the ones that lead to someone shouting, “this house is a mess!”) happen insidiously, the result of many little tasks that we didn’t want to be bothered with at the moment.
One way to prevent these kinds of creep-up-on-you, whole-house disasters is keeping this rule: “If it takes less than a minute to finish, do it right away.”
Here is a mega list of such less-than-a-minute, do-it-now tasks that will keep your home cleaner, forever:
In the Kitchen
- Put the dish in the dishwasher.
- Wipe up what you spilled on the counter.
- Scrub the kitchen sink after washing the dishes at night.
- Wipe down the inside of the microwave if your food splatters.
- Dry the dish you just washed and put it away.
- Wash the cutting board.
- Empty crumbs from the toaster oven or toaster.
- Take out the trash.
- Empty the recycling when it’s full.
- Decant pantry items.
- Empty the coffee grounds from the coffee maker.
- Unpack the groceries.
- Straighten up the freezer.
In the Dining Room
- Wipe the table after you eat.
- Push the chairs in.
- Toss the dying flowers as soon as you notice them.
In the Bedroom
- Put the earrings back in the jewelry box rather than on the dresser.
- Hang the jacket in the closet.
- Put the dirty socks in the hamper rather than on the floor.
- Make the bed, first thing.
In the Living Room
- Bring the popcorn bowl from the living room to the sink after movie night.
- Put the sweatshirt/cardigan/sweater away when you leave the room rather than leaving it on the couch.
- Take the blanket back to its basket.
- Put the remote away.
- Put your book in its designated spot.
- Put the charging cables back in the drawer when you’re done charging.
- Put the DVD back in its case and the case back in its place.
In the Entryway
- Break down the Amazon box for recycling as soon as you unbox.
- Put your purse where it belongs.
- Hang your keys on the hook.
- Go through the mail before you set it on the counter.
- Put your shoes on the shoe rack (not next to it).
- Take the return out to the car.
- Take the water bottle out of the car.
Around Your Desk
- Shred the sensitive paper.
- Bring your mug from your desk to the sink.
- Empty your purse of receipts.
In the Bathroom
- Spray a daily shower cleaner after you take a shower.
- Put the hair dryer away.
- Squeegee the shower door.
- Switch out the empty toilet paper roll. (Seriously, please.)
Around the Laundry
- Dry the front loader’s damp door after a load.
- Separate the laundry.
- Soak the stained shirt.
- Toss in the load.