When your bedroom is too small to even fit a nightstand, this homemade ledge for your bedside wall is the next best alternative. Constructed from the parts of two $4 BEKVAM spice racks, this little shelf is perfectly sized for holding a glass of water, your phone and a pendant lamp—so everything you need is right within reach.
What You'll Need
- 1 HEMMA cord set, $10 from IKEA
- Painter's tape
- Gold spray paint, such as Rust-Oleum Metallic Gold Spray Paint
- 2 BEKVAM Spice Racks, $4 each from IKEA (you will need just the base piece from the second rack, so if you prefer, you could replace it with one 15 3/4-by-3 7/8-inch piece of wood)
- 4 brass wood screws
- Brass tube, cut slightly shorter than the length of the spice rack, about 15 1/2 inches
- Drill and 1/2-inch and 1-inch Forstner drill bits
- Light bulb
1. Wrap the HEMMA cord with tape. Working in a well-ventilated area, spray-paint the socket gold. Let dry completely, then remove the tape.
2. Using a screw driver, loosen the screws to remove the metal plates on 2 of the BEKVAM side pieces.
3. Using the 1/2-inch Forstner bit, drill a 1/4-inch-deep hole into the BEKVAM side piece, in between the oval hole and the side of the wood (as shown, above). This is where the brass tube will rest once the shelf is assembled. Repeat on the other piece.
4. Attach one side piece to the BEKVAM base as instructed, using both the wooden peg and the silver screws to secure it in place. Add the brass tube before attaching the other side piece using the wooden peg and silver screws provided.
5. Using the 1-inch Forstner drill bit, drill a hole all the way through the second BEKVAM base piece, near the upper right corner, about 1 inch in from both edges. Secure the piece to the top of the spice rack by first drilling pilot holes and then securing it in place with the brass screws.
6. Secure the shelf ledge to the wall using wall anchors. Slide the plug of the HEMMA cord up through the hole and screw in a lightbulb. Viola—the shelf is ready to act as a perch for a glass of water or some bedside reading.
In need of more smart ways to squeeze extra storage out of a small bedroom? Try these other IKEA hacks:
- Turn the EKET cabinet into a mobile nightstand
- Customize the $35 RAST dresser into a stenciled, Anthro-inspired masterpiece