There's nothing better than an Easter basket chock full of candy and colorful fun items. But what about the actual basket? Sure, they are adorable right in that moment, but there are only so many pastel-colored woven containers a person can own. Rather than send them to the Goodwill pile year after year, swap out a traditional basket with practical vessels—ones you can use long past April.
Instead of shopping the seasonal aisle, you can head over to one of these other departments to find something that's just right. We pulled together some of our favorite items, which also just happen to make great "baskets."
From bowls to bins to canisters, you can easily find something big enough and just fun enough to make a great gift, but that's still practical the next day in the kitchen.
- Colander; $18.68 from Amazon
- Hanging Fruit Basket; $24.99 from H&M Home
- One-Gallon Glass Storage Jar; $13.99 from World Market
- Melamine Storage Bowl; $10 from Anthropologie
- Sink Saddle Storage Caddy; $8 from Urban Outfitters
Flower pots are perfect because they come in every shape, material and color possible, and you can go as big or as small as you need to. After the holiday, you can stick a plant in there and it's good to go.
- House Glass Terrarium; $19.99 from IKEA
- Large Ceramic Plant Pot; $17.99 from H&M Home
- White Planter; $9.99 from IKEA
- Planter; $12.99 from Target
- Ceramic Window Box; $19.98 from Amazon
STORAGE BINS & ORGANIZERS
There are so many great bins and organizers out there in the world, and, unlike handled baskets, you can never have too many of them.
- Storage Bin; $8.99 from Kohls
- Striped Fabric Bin; $7.99 from Target
- Heather Storage Box; $14.99 from Amazon
- Clear Stackable Plastic Basket with Handles; $13.99 from Container Store
- Marble Lidded Trash Can; $8.00 from Urban Outfitters
TOTES & BAGS
Zippered pouches, reusable totes and lunch bags all look great stuffed with goodies, but can be reused endlessly for all sorts of reasons.
- Mint Hinza Shopping Tote; $19.99 from Container Store
- Make Up Bag; $12.99 from Target
- Floral Essential Lunch Bag; $19.50 from PB Teen
- Mini Stockholm Suitcase; $6.99 from The Container Store
- Makeup Caddy; $10 from Urban Outfitters
Kids especially don't care are about a basic old basket. Amp up the fun with yet another toy — like a wagon or sand bucket. Or, for something more practical, give them a little storage for their existing stuff.